Mistakes From The Old World

Chapter 19

The rush of air against my feathers is exhilarating as I soar above the vast, empty desert below, my wings slicing through the clouds with effortless grace. With each beat, I propel myself further and faster, knowing that I am the swiftest creature on Earth.

Below me, the desert stretches out endlessly, a sea of golden sand dunes rippling in the wind like waves frozen in time. Occasionally, I catch glimpses of desert creatures darting across the landscape - a coyote racing after its prey, a rattlesnake slithering through the sand, and perhaps even a majestic eagle, surveying its domain from above.

As I fly through the billowing clouds, their soft embrace envelops me, the cool mist mingling with the warmth of the desert air. Adrenaline courses through my veins, fueling my determination to push myself even further, to reach new heights of speed and freedom. In this moment, there is nothing but the endless blue sky and the boundless thrill of flight.

I have been flying for hours, and I couldn't see any signs of life for miles. Caleb let me scout ahead but there was nothing to find. I torpedoed myself down to the ground. I landed harder than I expected but caught my balance as I stood on top of the sandy dune hill. I pulled my wings back into my body thankful for the opportunity to actually put them to work as the sun beat down on me.

Nothing for miles.

We had just reached The Ataturk Dam, in Turkey. The Euphrates River wasn't far, and we are far enough for me to tell Caleb and Sariel What I had seen all those years ago with Lilith. With how excited she was about those fallen I wouldn't be surprised that she had found some way to release them.

God I was such a fucking idiot.

I was too busy trying to appease Lilith to not even register a real threat to not just heaven but earth was right in front of me. But all I wanted was the woman who was willing to burn everything down including me to get what she wanted.

"Why did you stop?" Caleb said landing behind me with Sariel. Caleb kept All six of his white wings open  while Sariel recalled his grey wings.

"I need to tell you something?"

"It can't wait until we find at least some civilization?" Sariel asked.

"No".

"Go ahead", Caleb encouraged using his wings to create shade for us."I trust it's important. And it's not like we have a deadline".

"We're about to come up on the next section of the Euphrates River where there is something in the water. Deranged fallen that have been drowning since the flood".

"And why is this a problem?" Sariel asked.

"No I think the better question is how do you know that?"

"Lilith showed me. She wanted me to help her release them, but once you got down so deep that even light couldn't reach the bottom I stopped. I was going to do it but then I saw glowing white eyes, they're not just stuck under some rock something purposely chain them down there. They had to have been drowning for decades by the time Lilith found them they hadn't deteriorated if anything they felt stronger than any fall than I have ever encountered. Now it was dark and I was underwater, but they didn't even look created like us".

"Mistakes from the old world before man?" Caleb questioned

"Or Watchers who couldn't be put in the pit?" Sariel pondered.

"It's so hidden away, and hell obviously knows about it. What if Maalik has been trapped down there?"

"That would be a good spot to put him. Cut off from heaven's light", Caleb said thinking out loud. "Take us there. Best case scenario we find Maalik".

"Better case we kill the last remnants of the watchers",Sariel said crossing his arms

"This isn't a search and destroy mission. Since they're down there, they're there for a reason. We don't need to add another task for us to do. Finding Maalik is the priority, once we find him we can come back to these fallen. For now we'll leave them in their watery prison". I watched as Sariel rolled his eyes,"The mission hasn't changed".

"Don't you believe heaven should know these findings?" Sariel asked.

"We haven't confirmed anything, they could have been released years ago".

"It's your call. But if we find them we should engage for the protection of heaven and mankind. That's the whole purpose of archangels. Ryel And I could handle it".

It's not about handling it's about staying focused on what we were assigned to do. If they have been down there for as long as Ryan has says they can do no harm to anyone. We need not to engage with them".

"Until they finally push us", Sariel argued

"Sariel I understand the sacrifices you have made to protect heaven and earth from the watchers.  You have finished your job, there's no need to be so focused on there destruction. They can harm no one chain to the bottom of the world trapped in endless torture. Every waking moment is a punishment for their crime. You do not need to be the sword of Justice. Justice is being served".

Caleb was trying to keep us focus while trying to keep himself calm. I could see both sides. But I couldn't help but side with Sariel more. It was our duty to protect man kind. Yes they have been down there for thousands of years and the likelihood of them escaping was slim to none unless the river dried up. But since we had enough people and it wouldn't take anything for us to eradicate them I had to side with Sariel. But Caleb was in charge. Whenever he said goes... For now.

"Fine, but we will come back to this. You may not want to take action but I'm sure Michael will".

"I'm sure he will, let him lead that charge then. We have our mission", Caleb said ending the conversation. He started to flap his wings and take off back into the sky.

I was about to follow Caleb when Sariel came to stand before me,"We must take action".

"We can always come back---"

"And who's to say when that will be? For all we know Maalik is dead. It could be centuries before we find his body. You're an archangel, my brother in arms. Seraphim haven't been the warriors they were born to be in many years. We have to fill in the gap. When we find these mad watchers help me fulfill our purpose in existence. Will you stand with me, brother?"

Brother...

Since I've fallen no one seem to consider me that anymore.

But Caleb always has.

And I would never betray him.

I wanted to take action. But I needed to be smart enough not to screw myself over again. "Sariel, I will stand with you. But from what I saw they were chained down there for a reason. Consulting with Michael before we make any decisions would be best practice. I believe they're down there for a reason, maybe a reason we weren't supposed to stumble into".

"You think they're imprisonment is by a higher design?"

"Yes, think about it. All of the watchers got sent to the pit with you. Why are these four the last remaining watchers thousands of miles from everyone else never talked about forgotten to time. It has to be for a reason. And I'm willing to bet Michael knows why".

"I had not considered that. Fine. For now they'll stay in their watery prison. But we will get answers".

"Of course", I smiled while taking a mental sigh of relief. I just wanted to stay on everyone's a good side I didn't know I would have to be doing mental gymnastics to accomplish it. "Let's catch up to Caleb".

"Right behind you".