Enough

Chapter 8

Ryan walked me safely inside showing me to the dining room. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starving but the only thing I saw to eat was a half a loaf of stale bread. As long as it wasn't rotten it was good enough for me. With something in my stomach Ryan left to fix the mess I made.

I felt Cullen pushing himself up and out of my body. He made himself comfortable in front of me on the wooden table. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just tried..."

"I know us when we are tried. This is different...deeper".

I pulled a piece of the bread off and hand fitted to Cullen,"If I fuck this up it's my damnation on the line. Heaven can just find another girl to hold you. And Ill be dead in hell trapped under Lucifer. I don't trust Michael to care about me...or really anyone. I'm convenient right now but easily replaceable".

Cullen stopped nibbling on his bread and flew up to my shoulder rubbing his head against my cheek. "Never replaceable, Evelyn. We chose each other. That's something I don't take lightly. If we go down we go down together. Any progress we have made it has been because of our teamwork. You care about the Fallen just as much as I do. We can do good. We can defeat Hell. Don't let Lucifer plant seeds of doubt in your head. He's only doing that because he has something to worry about. We will prevail".

"I wish I was as hopeful as you. I don't plan on giving up anytime soon. I'm just... Tired I guess".

"Then we should rest".

"I wonder where Damion went", I pondered out loud as I stood up. "He's like a master tracker. I'm surprised he didn't find us".

"They will all be back, in time".

I started to head towards the wooden door. But stopped as soon as a dark thought crossed my mind.

Lucifer and Michael were twins. What if Michael still felt that brotherly twin love and he wanted to save his brother. What if all of the relics that came before me and were killed was because of his love for his brother. A relic can save anyone... Even the devil? What if Michael's ultimate plan is to just find a relic that can redeem Lucifer. It has nothing to do with protecting heaven but protecting his blood. I was cynical enough to put this idea together and crazy enough to believe it.

"Did you hear that?" I said holding out my hand for Cullen to fly onto

"I did. Michael may be a lot of things. But I don't believe him not to always be acting in heaven's interest. The doubt in your mind has been placed there by Lucifer. The more you let it grow the more he wins".

"You're right. I need to let it go".

As I walked through the drafty Abbey, the rhythmic sound of ocean waves echoed through the stone corridors. The ancient atmosphere enveloped me, and the lack of electricity heightened the sense of timelessness. I moved cautiously, admiring the simple pictures on the walls that hinted at the Abbey's rich history.

One particular watercolor painting caught my attention. It depicted a group of nuns, each figure carefully crafted with love and attention to detail. The delicate strokes highlighted the unique features of each woman, capturing a sense of camaraderie and spirituality. I couldn't help but wonder about the artist behind the painting and the stories of the nuns it portrayed.

As I studied the artwork, Cullen perched on my shoulder, his small form a comforting presence. The dim light cast a warm glow on the depiction of sisterhood, creating a contrast to the dark thoughts that had plagued my mind earlier. The painting seemed to emanate a sense of peace, momentarily pushing aside the doubts that Lucifer had sown.