Chapter Thirty

Twenty-nine weeks after Lee's death.

Alex concentrated as she cleaned up Walker's chest. The knife had been removed by...the blonde woman. Alex's eyes danced over to the blonde who was sitting down with her friend, the other woman who was always around. Alex went back to cleaning up Walker.

"He gonna make it?" Rip barked as he walked in.

"He'll make it," Alex leaned back on the stool she was sitting on. "But I'd really like to know what happened, so I know what I'm working on."

"I told you," Walker said. "That crazy lunatic stabbed me."

He was referring to Lloyd, who was currently outside where Rip had pushed him to. Colby and Teeter were with him. Alex stared at Rip who placed his hands on his hips. The door opened, Kayce walking inside. Alex had warned Rip that Kayce would come looking for her if she wasn't at the house when he got back from work.

"This don't concern you," Rip said.

Alex rolled her eyes and focused back on cleaning Walker up.

"What happened?" Kayce looked around.

Alex chose to focus on cleaning up her stitches. She tuned out Rip and Kayce as her eyes drifted to Walker's. He was watching her closely, but he looked thankful for her. Probably was, due to the fact that while Lloyd missed any organs, he did bleed a lot. Alex wiped over his skin, trying to get rid of most of the blood before leaning back. Walker looked down at her work.

"You're good," He told her as Kayce and Rip were still standing nose to nose.

"Thanks," Alex smiled. "Let's not do this again though, okay?"

"Tell 'em to stay in their lane," Walker nodded, pulling his shirt back on.

"I'll try my best," Alex nodded, standing up.

She walked past Kayce and Rip who were quieter, but still red in the face. Kayce glanced her way and followed Alex as she walked out. The cold air hit her in the face when she left but it was better than stitching up a knife wound any day. She could hear Kayce behind her and looked over her shoulder.

"Even your walk is angry," Alex said.

"Why didn't you call me?" Kayce asked.

Alex stopped walking for him to catch up with her.

"Call you?" She asked. "I didn't need you, Kayce."

"You get called for a knife stabbing at the bunkhouse and you just walk down?" He asked her.

"I got called by Rip to come help," Alex frowned. "So I did."

Kayce scuffed.

"I didn't know what had happened until I got there," Alex said. "Thankfully I did though because Walker did need medical attention."

"You still should have called," Kayce said. "And Rip should know better."

He acted like he was about to turn back around so Alex reached out for his arm, hooking her hand around his elbow.

"Hey," She said. "What's all this about?"

"What?" Kayce asked her.

"I told Rip you'd come looking for me if I wasn't home when you got here, but I didn't mean like this," Alex relaxed her grip. "You're acting like it was me in the knife fight...it was just two drunk cowboys."

"You could have gotten hurt," Kayce said.

"The fight had already happened after I got there," Alex shook her head. "I'm just the clean up crew."

She tried to joke but Kayce wasn't having it. His whole body was still tense. Alex stepped closer to him.

"Kayce?" She asked softly.

"Just had a rough day," Kayce shook his head. "Been a rough week honestly."

There it was.

"And Rip is gonna be your punching bag for it?" Alex tilted her head.

"Seemed easier," Kayce mumbled.

Alex sighed, sitting her bag down beside her and standing back up. She reached out and held Kayce's face, bringing his lips to hers in a slow kiss. She pulled back and opened her eyes.

"Hey...welcome home," Alex smiled. "How was your day? Mine was pretty good."

Kayce held her waist.

"How about we go get some supper?" Alex continued. "And then take a hot shower and then I'll take you to bed?"

Kayce smirked, looking down at her. He moved fast, scooping her up and over his shoulder as he walked toward the house. Alex was laughing, swatting at his back for him to put her down. Once inside, Kayce carefully sat her back on her feet.