Chapter Seventeen

Sixteen weeks after Lee's death.

"If you hold still it'll go by faster," Alex glared at Rip.

"I don't need damn stitches," Rip muttered.

"You just want a gash on your forehead?" Alex finished her last stitch. "There...done."

"Finally," Rip stood up and reached for his hat.

"You're welcome," Alex called over her shoulder as Rip walked out of the barn.

The wranglers had taken the first stall on the left and turned it into a makeshift room for Alex to operate out of. She would share it with the part-time veterinarian but for now, it was hers. She walked over to the sink, just installed this morning, and washed her hands.

The call to the hospital had been short and sweet. Her old manager questioned her sense of going to work full-time for John Dutton. When Alex told her that she had still yet to be cleared, her manager said that was even more of a red flag. Alex didn't care though. She was working again, using her hands. Bootstraps made her glance over her shoulder and see John.

"Hi," Alex nodded. "Need something?"

"Sink work?" John asked.

"So far so good," Alex smiled. "Thank you again...it's so much easier than having to go into the bunkhouse for clean water."

"Supplies come in on time?" John leaned against the stall wall.

"Everything seems to be here," Alex glanced around. "I had to stitch Rip up so I have a few more boxes to unpack."

"Good," John nodded. "Anything else you need?"

"I don't think so," Alex shook her head. "Not at the moment at least. I know once I can get a rhythm going ordering supplies will be on more of a cycle."

"You're the expert here, so you'll have to tell me what you need," John said.

"Thank you again, John," Alex looked at him.

"Alex..." John sighed. "You can stop being...weird around me."

"I'm not being weird?" Alex shook her head.

"Alright," John laughed as if he didn't believe her.

"Look, I just think that you and Kayce together aren't the best for right now," John shrugged. "Who knows what the hell the future holds...but you're both also adults and I can't actually tell you what to do."

"You really think that?" Alex asked. "You honestly think Kayce won't do exactly what you tell him to?"

"Never has before," John said. "Why start now?"

"All Kayce does is seek your approval," Alex crossed her arms. "He just isn't as...poor puppy as Jamie or cruel as Beth. But he's still your son."

"I just got him back, Alex," John sighed. "I can't lose him again."

"And he and I together would do that?" Alex asked.

"I don't know what it would do," John said. "That's what terrifies me."

"I feel I proved to you my loyalty a long time ago, John," Alex frowned. "I don't understand why all of a sudden it matters now if I'm involved or not."

"Because..." John trailed off.

"Because it's Kayce?" Alex offered. "He's somehow different than Lee?"

"He is," John nodded. "I can't explain it to you, but he is."

"I don't see how I pose a threat to you though," Alex said. "Worst case scenario is that it wouldn't work out between me and Kayce."