Chapter Twenty

Nineteen weeks after Lee's death.

Alex was waiting in the main living room for Kayce and John...and hopefully, Tate...to get back. John had gone with Kayce to meet Jamie at the courthouse. Yesterday's Thanksgiving had been uneventful for the Duttons, surprising Alex. But today, Kayce and Monica were going to square off in front of a judge regarding their custody over Tate. Alex had no idea what was going to happen. She prayed for a fifty-fifty split between the two, that's the only thing that seemed fair. Even though Alex internally wanted Kayce to have Tate to himself, she'd never say it out loud.

"Miss. Alex, you want any more coffee?" Gator walked by with a pot.

"No thanks, Gator," Alex smiled at him. "I don't need any more caffeine."

"Yes ma'am," Gator nodded and walked back into the kitchen.

Alex took a deep breath and heard tires on the gravel. She stood up, thinking it didn't sound like a truck, and saw Beth's car pull up in front of the house. Alex walked over to the front door, opening it up for the blonde woman.

"So, you just come the day after Thanksgiving instead?" Alex asked.

"Have you met my family?" Beth asked, walking past Alex inside. "Came here for reinforcement."

"For Kayce?" Alex shut the front door.

"Our family has been split apart enough," Beth shrugged her coat off. "And I think this one would actually end Kayce."

"Yeah," Alex frowned. "I'm worried about him."

"Glad someone is," Beth huffed. "Come on, I'm freezing."

Alex followed her into the living room and sat down by the fire. Alex stayed standing, her arms crossed.

"What time was the hearing?" Beth asked.

"Eight-thirty," Alex glanced at the clock and saw it was closer to eleven. "Shouldn't we have heard from them?"

"Not if Tate's with them," Beth shook her head.

Alex nodded, feeling her phone buzz in her pocket. She pulled it out, seeing a text from Kayce, and swiped the screen.

We're done. Leaving the courthouse now. – KD

"They're done," Alex read the text. "Kayce said they're leaving now."

"What's the verdict?" Beth asked.

How did it go? – AR

She waited a few minutes before another text popped up.

It's done. – KD

"He just said it's done?" Alex looked at Beth.

"Would it kill the men in this family to fucking elaborate?" Beth rolled her eyes.

"Done is good, right?" Alex asked. "I mean if it wasn't...Kayce would have said, right?"

"I don't know," Beth shrugged. "Aren't you the one sleeping with him?"

Alex's eyes widened.

"What?" She asked Beth.

"What do you mean, what?" Beth laughed. "You don't think Dad hasn't noticed y'all sleep in the same room? It ain't hard to figure out."

"We haven't," Alex shook her head.

"Alex," Beth raised her eyebrow.

"I mean it," Alex frowned. "We haven't."

"You...haven't?" Beth looked surprised. "Jesus, and he's still standing?"

"Beth," Alex rolled her eyes.