Chapter Twenty-Two

Twenty-one weeks after Lee's death.

Alex sat on the uncomfortable chair in the waiting portion of the intake facility on the Reservation. The only thing more uncomfortable than the chair was the stare of every officer who walked by her. Alex could count on one hand the number of times she came back to the reservation since her mother took her away when she was a kid...three of those times were because of Kayce. Just like this time.

But Alex's main concern was what would be waiting for them when they got back to the ranch. Kayce had woken her up early this morning and driven them out here. She knew John didn't know where they were, the three missed calls from him on her phone told her that. Jamie as well, one missed call and a text message saying "You better know what you're doing" was what she had from him.

"Alexandria?"

Alex looked up and saw Chief Rainwater standing in front of her. Blinking twice, Alex slowly stood up. She felt almost like a child right now, but Rainwater always had a way of making her feel like a child in the past.

"What on Earth are you doing here?" He asked her.

"Waiting," Alex answered.

"On what?" Rainwater frowned.

"Not what," Alex slowly shook her head. "Who."

Realization dawned on Rainwater's face. His frown deepened as he slid his hands into his coat pocket.

"I figured you would have gotten far away from that family after..." Rainwater sighed.

"You have no idea what I would do," Alex told him. "You don't know me."

"There's that defense," Rainwater pressed his lips into a line.

"Why are you here?" Alex countered. "Trying to put Montana's Livestock Commissioner behind bars?"

"Titles don't keep men from being guilty, Alexandria," Rainwater said.

"You really want to go against that office?" Alex asked. "That family?"

"The Duttons are not immortal," Rainwater chuckled. "There was a time you'd have thought the same thing."

"I was never part of your consistent push toward us hating landowners of this state," Alex rolled her eyes.

"Our ancestors were the true landowners," Rainwater sighed.

"All of this was decided by people long before us," Alex frowned. "Why are you so hell-bent on going back there? Instead of looking toward the future and helping our people forge a new path?"

"Our people?" Rainwater chuckled. "Since when do you claim us?"

Alex was quiet.

"Sir?" A deputy walked up. "We're ready."

Rainwater looked back at Alex.

"You really are still that confused little girl, aren't you?" He asked before walking away.

Alex slowly sat back down in the chair, biting her lip. She felt like crying but knew that would help no one, especially Kayce.

Another hour passed when the doors opened up and this time Kayce walked through them. Alex jumped out of her seat and ran over to him, holding onto his arm as he finished putting his jacket back on.

"Are you okay?" Alex asked in a hushed whisper.

"Am I good to go?" Kayce ignored her and asked the officer who nodded.

Kayce placed his hand on Alex's back and led her out of the station. They walked out and got into his truck. When the doors shut Alex looked at Kayce who had yet to start his truck.