Chapter 7

Riding in the limousine on the way to the church, Becky stared out the tinted window and thought of Freen Chankimha.

She'd undoubtedly be at the wedding. As Anda's best man, she'd be up in the front of the church, by the groom's side, responsible for Anda and Lookkaew's wedding rings. But she couldn't possibly recognize her. The short black bobbed wig was no longer on her head. Her below-the-shoulder-length, wavy brown hair had been styled in an elegant twist, with tiny, pale pink rosebuds twined in her hair. Her makeup was totally different, fresh and light, in keeping with what a maid of honor should look like; no Cleopatra kohl-lined eyes for her, no sir. And the bright, shiny red lipstick had been replaced by a deep pink gloss.

Her bridesmaid's dress couldn't have been more different from what she'd worn last night. No more short black leather skirts, thigh-high boots, and tight, clingy tops. The dress that Lookkaew had selected for her was a gorgeous silver blue silk that set off her brown hair and just happened to be one of Lookkaew's favorite colors. The Empire style suited Becky's slender body; she felt like a heroine in a Regency romance novel.

Lookkaew looked like a princess, the full, white skirt of her wedding dress billowing out around her legs. She'd chosen a gorgeous dress, with a halter-style, beaded bodice and a multilayered ivory tulle skirt. And she'd wanted to wear the same veil her mother had worn when she'd walked down the aisle since she was a little girl, so Kate had carefully preserved her original veil for her daughter's wedding day. A sparkling tiara in Lookkaew's dark hair completed the fairy-tale look.

Her mother had also provided the something blue, by giving Lookkaew a pair of spectacular sapphire earrings. The something new, Lookkaew had decided, was the tiara she adored. The something old, her brothers had teased them all, was that their father, Han, was walking her down the aisle. But Lookkaew also had chosen to wear a delicate bracelet that had belonged to her great-grandmother. And her mother's veil was the something borrowed.

So everything was covered.

Becky found herself totally happy for her friend. This was turning out to be an incredible weekend. After all, it wasn't every day that you were part of your best friend's wedding and lost your virginity, all in a matter of twenty-four hours.

The limousine turned a corner, and Becky clasped her hands tightly together. Anda and her family had gone on ahead, of course, as everyone knew it was bad luck for the groom to see her bride before the wedding. Becky was in the limousine with Lookkaew, her mother and father, and Lookkaew's five-year-old niece, Luna, who was going to be the flower girl.

Becky tried to keep her attention on the upcoming wedding, not Freen.

They'd rehearsal without her, as she'd flown into town late and arrived right after the rehearsal dinner. But Lookkaew and her mother had explained the layout of the church to her, and she was confident that she could do a good job and make her friend happy.

Lookkaew, holding on to her father's arm, was absolutely radiant. Happiness seemed to shine off her, and in that instant, Becky was glad she'd gone to the bachelor party.

But another, disquieting thought had entered her head.

It had been an amazingly spectacular, sensual night for her. If a girl ever had fantasies about how she wanted to lose her virginity, then Freen Chankimha would at the top of that particular wish list. It had been perfect. Not in the sense of a trail of rose petals across a huge bed or masses of lit white candles flickering in a bedroom, not the way it was usually portrayed in bridal magazines, romantic movies, or girlish daydreams. There hadn't been any string music swelling up in the background, and they certainly hadn't popped a bottle of champagne.