Chapter VIII - Mikkora Greeves

Corliss is studying in her dorm room, doing an assignment for Professor Galen, the Healing professor. She has to write about the different categories of medicinal herbs. She turns the page in her textbook, and then hears a knock at the door. Riko jumps from the bed and wanders over to Corliss.

"Don't worry, Riko," Corliss tells her. She gets up and walks over to the door, opening it. There stands a man wearing soldier armor, with a messenger back wrapped around his chest. He hands Corliss a letter.

"Corliss Hailward, correct?" He asks.

"That's me," she confirms.

"This is for you," the messenger says. Corliss takes the letter. "Good day." The Academy messenger leaves, most likely looking for the next student to deliver mail to.

Corliss opens the letter, and begins to read it.

Corliss

It's already been a month. I hadn't even realized how long it'd been before I checked the calendar the other day. I'll be coming to Lorentia on the Second of Nine, so how about we meet up then? You can tell me about everything that's happened so far.

Your father, Rylos Hailward

"It's from Dad, Riko," Corliss says. She checks her calendar. "He's coming to town today. Wanna go see him?" Riko meows. Corliss gets ready to go into town, and picks up her cat.

.

Corliss sits on a bench in town, petting Riko. The people of Lorentia pass her by, some of them smiling. She returns their kind gestures. Suddenly, a woman with medium-length dark green hair and green eyes sits next to Corliss.

"Corliss Hailward," the woman says. Corliss turns toward her, and she begins to get nervous.

"Do I know you?" Corliss asks. The woman shakes her head.

"No," she answers. "But I know you." Corliss begins to panic, and she begins to think of things to say.

"I... I go to the academy," she says, trying to sound threatening. "I train every day."

"I know you go to the academy," the woman reveals. "I've been told a lot about you."

"By who?" Corliss asks.

"Corliss!" Corliss hears her father's voice, and she looks at him as he approaches. She stands up and gives him a hug, Riko rubbing against his leg.

"Dad, there's this woman, and-"

"Oh, so I see you met Mikkora already," Rylos says. Corliss looks back at the green-haired woman sitting on the bench. She waves.

"Wait, you know her?" Corliss asks. The woman, Mikkora, stands up and approaches the father and daughter.

"We went to the academy together," she explains. "I didn't mean to scare you, Corliss. Well, I meant to scare you a little bit, if I'm being honest."

Corliss lets out a sigh, relieved that Mikkora wasn't going to hurt her.

"I ran into Mikkora just the other day," Rylos tells Corliss. "She was passing by the house, and I spoke with her for a while. Told her about everything that happened."

"Congratulations on joining the Knight track," Mikkora says. "I hear it's tough." Corliss rubs her side, remembering her first day.