Chapter VII - End of the First Month

Fortunately for Corliss, the next Knight class took place inside the classroom, instead of on the training ground. She continued her studies, writing papers and doing assignments for each of her professors.

On the last Friday of each month, the professors bring their students on excursions around Aranthia.  These excursions are used to teach the students about their world, and allow them to see things up close, rather than in a textbook.

The first excursion for the Knights was going to Ossary, to learn how Knight Territory is run.  Afterwards, Elsimas allowed her students and the Ossary soldiers to have a mock battle with each other, and they played a game of capture the flag.

The students won, though that was only because the soldiers were going easy on them.  After the mock battle was over, the students were treated to a meal, and they returned to the academy.  Once they returned, Elsimas informed the students they were free to go.

"Phew!" Celia exclaims.  "I'm still tired from that battle."

"Those soldiers are really strong," Wynona adds.  "And they were going easy on us!  You think we'll be that strong someday?"

"I hope so," Celia answers.  "What do you think, Eva?"

"Um..." Eva stammers.

"It's alright," Celia tells her.  "I didn't mean to put you on the spot."

"So what now?" Corliss asks.

"We still have some time to kill," Wynona tells them.  "How about we go to the lake for a little bit?"

"Sounds relaxing," Celia says.  "I'm in.  You wanna come, Eva?"  Eva hesitates, and then softly nods her head.

"You're coming too, right, Corliss?" Wynona asks.  Corliss nods.

"For sure," she answers.

"Great!" Wynona says.  "Meet you guys at the bridge!" She must be talking about the long bridge connecting Lorentia and the academy.  The group disperses for a short while.  Corliss goes to the dorm halls to prepare for her trip to the lake.

.

Corliss arrives at the lake, dressed in some casual clothes, with her swimming clothes underneath.  She sees her classmates at the water's edge.  Eva and Celia, their backs to Corliss, sit in the sand, their feet in the water.  Wynona sits in the water, facing them.  She sees Corliss approaching.

"Corliss, there you are!" Wynona says, waving.  Wynona wears a brown two-piece swimsuit.  Celia and Eva turn their heads to look at Corliss.  Celia smiles.

"The water feels great!" Celia tells her.  Corliss stops by a rock, and removes her clothing, revealing her swimsuit, which is a two-piece with a blue top and black bottoms.  She sits next to Celia, who wears a orange two-piece swimsuit with blue dots scattered on it, and Eva, who wears a black one-piece swimsuit.  Corliss lets the water run over her feet and ankles.  She looks at her leg, noticing that she can barely see the injury Wynona inflicted upon her a few weeks ago.

"A whole month gone already," Wynona says.  "Time sure does fly, huh?"

"Hey there!" A familiar voice shouts.  Corliss turns to see Edward and Rita approaching.

"Hey, Ed!" Wynona says, greeting him.  Corliss and Celia wave.  He stands next to the rock, and removes his shirt.  Corliss turns her head back around, her face getting hot.

What's wrong with my face?  She asks herself.  Wynona notices, and gives Corliss a sly smile.  Edward sits on the sand, next to Corliss.  He wears a pair of dark blue swimming shorts.