1616 Brief history of Creepypasta

(Quick warning, this may not be brief.) 

- Where did the term 'Creepypasta' come from? 

The term originates from the word 'Copypasta' (Copy and pasted text that was commonly spread through emails and online forums in the late 2000s and early 2010s, the term itself being coined in 2006.) The term Creepypasta was coined on the imageboard 4Chan in around 2007 to 2010. 

- What is Creepypasta? 

Creepypasta's are normally short horror stories (Sometimes long ARG's, such as Ben Drowned.) that are made with the intent to frighten the reader. Most Creepypastas are associated with images or videos! (Jeff the Killer, Slenderman, etc) But now the term Creepypasta is really used for anything and everything. The Backrooms, SCP foundation, MLP Infection AU (This one I agree with).

- What are the origins of Creepypasta? 

The origins are unknown, as every story was user published, sometimes anonymously. It's not really known where it really started to become creepypasta, or why it was brought up on 4Chan, or anything, really. 

- What was the first Creepypasta? 

Ted the Caver, the story was published in 2001 on an AngelFire website! Although, from what I know, the first creepypasta that formed what it was in the 2010s and what we commonly associate with Creepypasta, was Slenderman! The story was written on June 10th 2009, by Victor Surge on the Something Awful forums on Reddit. (Victor Surge was the name he used, but his real name is Eric Knudsen.)

- The Slenderman Stabbing 

Sadly, I do have to talk about this. I'm sure most of you know this, so feel free to skip past this section. On 2014, May 31st in Wisconsin, two 12 year old girls (Morgan Geyser and Anissa Weier) attempted to murder their bestfriend (Payton Leutner) to please Slenderman. According to both girls, they had planned this for around 5 - 7 months, they had also planned to run away to Slenderman's Mansion. They led Payton into a forest and stabbed her 19 times, it's a genuine miracle she crawled out of the forest while the two ran away (They had lied saying they were gonna get help). Morgan and Anissa were found on the side of the road near a highway, and taken in for questioning. I would recommend watching this interrogation for a better covering on this subject; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eVTk_2zcaA&t=845s

- What are the most popular Creepypastas? 

Based on a few articles and my personal opinion, I would say Slenderman, Jeff The Killer, Ticci Toby, Laughing Jack, BEN DROWNED, and Smile.jpg. (More story centered ones are; The Russian Sleep Experiment, Candle Cove, No end House, Lavender Town Syndrome, and Abandoned By Disney)

- When did Creepypasta peak? 

Creepypasta peaked in the mid 2010s, the height of the stories, fanfics, OC's, and in general media! (insert flashbacks to the fake 'Ticci Toby visited me!' videos from 2016) The end of the mid-2010s marked the downfall in popularity. Spinoff stories such as; Marble Hornets, EveryManHybrid, and TribeTwelve all ended in the late 2010s / the end of the mid-2010s. Although, Creepypasta had another spark up for the MLP Infection AU, the rise in more accurate-looking fanart, and with the Marble Hornets plushies in 2022 - 2023. (My Slenderman plush just shipped out and I ordered it in DECEMBER.) 

- Iris Signing Off.