Chapter 12.

Wren ran down the hallway and unlocked a door with her card. She ran inside, closing the door quickly behind her. Just when she thought she had a moment of peace, a voice spoke from behind her.

"Wren?" Newt mumbled

She turned around and saw Thomas missing from the group. "Where's Thomas?" Wren asked, looking around at them all.

"She went into the vent with that Aris boy for 'answers'." Minho shrugged

Wren took her hair out the ponytail and looked at the open vent underneath one of the beds. She walked over to one of the beds and ripped off the covers.

"Wren, what's going on?" Newt asked

"No time to explain. But I need to get you guys out of here." Wren said, struggling to pull the covers off

Frypan walked over and helped Wren rip off the covers, trusting her no matter what. Wren tied the door to a lock with the bedcovers.

"I need you guys to put the mattress against the door." Wren pointed to a mattress, stepping back from the door.

As the boys did so, Wren moved her hand to her waist where a gun rested in her jeans. She flinched and pointed it to the vent when it opened and Thomas and Aris climbed out. Thomas was panicking, and Aris was still.

"Could have given a little warning." Wren exhaled heavily and put the gun back to her side

"Sorry, Wren." Aris apologised, "But we need to get out of here, like you've told me."

"Hold on, what have you told this... kid?" Newt asked

"Now is not the time for questions." Wren shook her head, "I need to get you all out of here."

"Why?" Winston asked

"It's Wicked. It's always been Wicked." Thomas explained

"And we need to go!" Wren raised her voice

"We can use the vents." Aris said, climbing back into the vent. Thomas followed him, along with everyone else, then Wren followed shortly after.

Wren crawled through the vent behind the others, her breathing quickening more and more as she felt as if the walls were moving around her. She felt as if the air was getting tighter as the walls closed in on her. The only thing that snapped her out of it, was Newt grabbing her arm and pulling her out the vent.

"Come on, come on." Thomas helped her stand up and he looked around the hallway, "Which way do we go?"

"You guys go ahead. There's something I gotta do." Aris told them

"What are you talking about?" Thomas asked

"Trust me, it's important." Aris said

"Stay safe." Wren hugged Aris, and he hugged her back.

"I'll go with him." Winston said, followed Aris into the vent.

"Left." Wren pointed down the hallway and ran down, everyone following behind.

"You sure we can trust this kid?" Minho asked

"You don't wanna know where we'd be without him." Thomas replied, turning around a corner and bumping into Dr Crawford.

"Dr Crawford-!" Wren spluttered out

"Wren? Were have you been? Janson's got everyone looking for you, your mother's going to be here soon." Dr Crawford looked at Wren, then at the boys

"There's no convincing her." Wren muttered then pulled out the gun, pointing it at Dr Crawford. "You're not to tell anyone where I am." That's when the alarms went off. Wren pushed the gun to Dr Crawford's back, leading her down the hallway as the boys followed. "We need to get to the med wing." Wren told them

"Why?" Frypan asked

"You want Teresa, don't you?" Wren asked, "Now, I don't know what they've done to her, but I know she needs to get out of there."

They ran to a corner and went to continue running when a guard readied his gun, telling them to freeze. But his gun was on the electric side, while Wren's had actual bullets. Wren aimed the gun at him and shot the man, running at him to grab his gun. She threw the gun over to Thomas, trusting him with it.

"Shit, Wren." Frypan muttered

"Okay. Let's go. Come on. Let's go!" Thomas continued the run down the hallway until they made it to the med wing. They pushed Dr Crawford in first and looked around the room.

Wren glanced over at the medical table, grabbing bandages, a needle or two, some pills she needed, then knocked everything else onto the floor so it couldn't be used anymore.

"Where is she? Where is she!" Thomas yelled at a doctor he had the gun pointed at, then he glanced over at a curtain.

"Wake Teresa." Wren ordered, knocking everything off the shelves as Newt tied the Doctors' hands together with bandages he found.

"Get down!" Minho yelled at the doctors, he now had the gun since Thomas gave it to him.

"You're never gonna get away with this." Dr Crawford said

"Eh," Wren shrugged, smirking slightly, "We can still die trying." She picked up a stool and broke a window with it so they had another way out.

Guards began to bang on the door so some of the boys blocked it and Thomas helped Teresa off the bed she was laying on. Wren turned back to everyone and saw a guard trying to reach through the door with it slightly open. So Wren pulled out the gun again and aimed at the guard's hand. She shot the hand, the bullet hitting the knuckles as the guard yelled out in pain.

"Everyone out!" Wren yelled and they all began to climb through the now broken window into another room. She saw Janson at the door through the door's window and she froze in place, locking eyes with him.

"Wren, come on." Newt said to her, not yet climbing through the broken window

"I-." Wren stuttered, her hand moving to the cut on her jaw

Newt caught on to her movements. He moved his hand to her chin and made her look at him. "Did he do it?"

Wren glanced back over to Janson, the guards still trying to open the door. He pulled out a table and clicked a few things on it. Wren felt her pulse quicken and her neck warm up. Then, a string of electricity shot through the back of her neck. She gasped in pain, holding the back of her neck.

"What did he do?" Newt asked quickly

"I don't know. But you need to get out of here." Wren shook her head

"Wren, I need you to tell me-." Newt began

"Sam!" Wren blurted out, then regained her composure, "Newt. I need you to get out of here."

"Who's Sam?" Newt asked

Wren turned her head and saw the door, almost open. She turned back to Newt and pushed him through the broken window. Newt looked back at her before she ducked down when the guards got the door open.

He thought she had been caught, but then saw Wren sneak over to the bed Teresa was in before, opening a vent and climbing through. Newt saw the others and ran over, knowing Wren could handle herself.