Chapter 6.

A while later, Gally, Newt, Wren, Minho, Thomas, and a few others were all together talking. It turns out, Thomas and Minho led a ground of people into the Maze to find the Griever that Thomas had killed.

"Yeah, we found this. It was inside a Griever." Thomas held up a contraption

Wren took the contraption out of Thomas' hands and looked at it. She saw the number seven on it and showed Newt. He noticed a longer number stuck onto it with WCKD above it.

"These are the same letters we get on our supplies." Newt realised

"Yeah." Thomas nodded, "Whoever put us here obviously made the Grievers. And this is the first real clue, the first anything you've found in over three years, right, Minho?"

"Right." Minho nodded

"Listen, we gotta go back out there." Thomas told them

"No, it's too dangerous to go out there at the moment. You shouldn't have even gone out today after what's recently been happening." Wren shook her head

"But who knows where this might lead us? And weren't you annoyed about how you couldn't get back out there?" Thomas asked her

Wren looked over at Newt and Gally.

"You see what he's trying to do, right?" Gally asked, "First he breaks our rules, and then he tries to convince us to abandon them totally. The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together. Why now are we questioning that?"

"But we might have a chance of getting out." Wren mumbled

"And you trust him?" Gally asked

Wren opened her mouth to reply but Newt grabbed her arm. She stopped and looked at him.

"What's going on with you two?" Gally asked

"Nothing." Newt and Wren both said

"If Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me." Gally continued, "This shank needs to be punished."

Newt looked over at Thomas then handed the device over to Minho. "You're right. Thomas broke the rules. One night in the pit and no food." Newt decided

"Oh, come on, Newt. One night in the pit?" Gally asked, "You think that's gonna stop him from going into the Maze?"

"Do you want him to be punished or not?" Wren stepped forward

"Let's just make this official." Newt sighed and looked at Thomas, "Starting from tomorrow, you're a runner. You can take Wren's place."

"What?!" Wren looked at Newt

"Wren, it's for the best." Newt sighed

"Wow." Gally began to walk out

"Gally." Frypan began

"No, Fry." Gally stopped him and walked out the door, with Frypan following him.

"Thanks, Newt." Thomas looked at Newt as others began to walk out.

Newt nodded and turned away when Thomas and Minho left.

"So, I'm not a runner anymore?" Wren sighed

"No, you're not. It's too dangerous for you." Newt shook his head

"It's not too dangerous." She shook her head, stepping forward with a slight limp

"Wren, you can't even walk properly so there's no way you're going into the Maze to run." Newt turned to her, "You're limping around everywhere."

"And what about you?" Wren asked, but immediately regretted it for some reason. He had never told her what happened to his leg, but she felt like she'd always known.

Before Wren could apologise, Jeff and Clint ran into the room.

"What is it?" Newt asked the two

"The girl. She's awake." Clint explained

"But she made a run for it." Jeff added

"To the Maze?" Newt asked

"No. To higher ground." Jeff said

The four of them walked out and saw the girl on the lookout tower throwing what she can at the boys below. Wren walked over to the base of the tower and began to climb, sneaking up so the girl didn't notice. She made it to the top and looked at the girl, only to get a machete pointed at her face.

"Okay, but the sharp items down." Wren lifted her hands up when sitting down, her legs still dangling down by the ladder

"Oh, I thought there were only boys here." The girl mumbled, slightly lowering the machete

"You're not wrong." Wren shrugged, "I was the only girl here until you arrived."

"Here? Where's 'here'?" The girl asked

"This is the Glade." Wren explained, then glanced over at all the boys standing below. She saw Thomas standing there, watching.

"Is she ready to come down?" Gally yelled up

Wren looked back at the girl, who shook her head. She looked back down at them, "Not yet. Give us a minute."

The boys mumbled and groaned then began to walk away, but Newt and Thomas stayed there.

"Can you tell me your name? If you remember it." Wren asked the girl

"Teresa." She mumbled

"Hello, Teresa. I'm Wren." Wren lowered her hands, "Now, I'm going to get down from here and you're going to talk to Thomas, okay?"

"Thomas?" Teresa repeated

"Yeah. Is that okay?"

Teresa nodded and Wren got down the tower and onto the ground.

"Thomas, you can deal with her now." Wren sighed and rubbed her eye

Thomas nodded and looked up at Teresa with a slight smile. He then began to climb up the ladder. Wren stayed below while Newt was called away by some others. After a while, Teresa and Thomas quickly climbed down, with Thomas holding two flasks.

"Whoa, whoa! What's wrong?" Wren stopped them

"We need to get to Alby. Now." Thomas said, pushing past Wren and running to the Med Hut, Teresa following after him.

Wren looked around then followed them, slower. She reached the Med Hut a little bit after Newt arrived.

"We don't even know what this is." Newt indicated to the flask, "We don't know who sent it or why it came up here with you."

"Is there going to be any explanation?" Wren sighed

"They're saying this could cure Alby." Newt held up one of the flasks

"Well then what are we waiting for?" Wren asked

"Are you serious? For all we know, this thing could kill him." Newt said

"Or it could save him. But he's also suffering." Wren took the flask off Newt

"And, how could it possibly make it any worse?" Thomas asked

"I'm willing to risk it." Wren took the flask off of Newt and walked over to Alby. She looked at the flask and saw a way of injecting it, so she readied her hand to do that. Just before she could, Alby managed to grab her like last time.

"You shouldn't be here!" Alby told her, then noticed Teresa and Thomas, "Neither should you!"

"Watch out!" Newt tried to pull Wren away

Wren pulled her hand away and injected the serum into Alby's chest. She managed to pull away as Alby passed out, with Newt pulling her close to him.

"Okay, from now on, someone tags here and watches him around the clock." Newt decided as Gally walked in

"Hey. Sundown, Greenie. Time to go." Gally said to Thomas, who walked over and followed Gally out.

Wren looked back at Alby, then at Newt before hugging him.