Vacation

"Sergeant! We've received a message from General Iroh," the soldier at the radio station exclaimed, his voice tinged with urgency.

"Terrific! What does it say?" I leaned in closer, resting my hand on his table as he listened intently to the incoming message.

"Fleet ambushed and destroyed... by Equalist aircraft... retreat to Red Sand Island... wait for my signal... do not approach the city until you receive my all-clear," he relayed, his eyes wide with shock.

I straightened up, placing a hand thoughtfully on my chin. "Interesting. Stay here; we might receive another message from Republic City or General Iroh," I instructed calmly but with an authoritative tone.

"Yes, Sergeant," he replied, his voice somber as he pondered the grim news. It was unclear how many were wounded or dead, but thankfully, the General was alive—one less worry.

Exiting the radio station, I made my way to the commander's meeting room, where the other officers were likely gathered. I paused before the metal doors and knocked three times.

As expected, there was no answer—they must be deeply engaged in their meeting. With no time to waste, I pushed open the heavy door and entered. The room was buzzing with officers voicing their concerns and strategizing loudly. They hadn't noticed me yet.

I walked directly to the commander, who was intently listening to his soldiers' discussions, his hand thoughtfully stroking his chin.

"Commander, we've received a message from General Iroh. Their fleet was ambushed and destroyed by Equalist aircraft. He orders us to retreat to Red Sand Island until we receive his signal that it's clear to return to Republic City," I whispered into his ear.

The room fell silent as the officers turned to listen what I whispered in the Commander ear.

"Do you think we've been compromised?" he murmured back.

"It's likely someone else intercepted the message," I responded evenly, maintaining a composed expression.

"Alright, gentlemen, it appears we may have guests in our radio waves. We just received word from General Iroh that their fleet has been destroyed. Prepare to move out to Red Sand Island. Get ready," he announced gravely. The officers, though visibly shaken, nodded and quickly moved to action, understanding the situation.

As the room cleared, only the Commander and I remained.

"Sergeant," he called out in a stern voice.

"Yes, Sir!" I responded, standing at attention with my hands by my sides, my gaze fixed ahead.

"Get your department ready."

I looked at him, puzzled. This was routine for me; he knew that. "Yes, Sir!"

"And Umira, this will be our last mission together," he said, his voice softening.

I stared at him in surprise. He only used my first name in private, usually when discussing matters beyond work.

"What do you mean, father?" I asked, faking confusion.

"After this mission, I will retire. This is our last one together. I'll accompany you to Republic City, and then you must forge your own path," he explained, cupping my cheek gently with his large hand, his eyes filled with affection.

"Father, why didn't you tell me sooner? This is so sudden—"

"I know, I should have. But it's time for me to retire and live life to the fullest," he chuckled, his enthusiasm undiminished as he shook me lightly.