Chapter Fifteen

Like always, the shop was loud and chaotic. Even more so as everyone rushed to finish setting up everything for Indira's birthday party. In less than one hour, the entire restaurant was going to be packed with Indira's school friends and there wasn't anything more annoying than a room full of young teenagers.

Across from the bar I stood behind, there was an arch of pink flowers plastered to the wall. Two bundles of balloons- white, clear with gold confetti, and pink- were placed on either side. And in the center of it all was a rose gold sign that said Indira's 16th.

Inara, already beaming from excitement, finished pinning the last streamer to the ceiling and said, "wait, tell us again!"

Embarrassment slinked through me, setting my face on fire.

My Dad immediately stopped carrying over trays of food. "They were in bed together!"

"Dad!" I hissed, casting a glare in his direction. "You can't say it like that. This is how rumours get spread."

Indira said, "why were you in his bed in the first place?"

Indira made her way over to the bar, her friends following close behind her.

I scratched my head. "I was- um like sitting with him while he fell asleep because he was really stressed out."

"That seems weird." My Mom glared and waved her hand until I carried the rest of the glasses over to her.

"Well I like the Prince," Koa said, her tone glimmering with a novel sense of joy. "I think he's funny."

"Funny and smart and handsome," Lyssa's eyes lit up as a smile spread across her lips.

I scoffed and my voice boomed around the room as I glared at everyone. "Yah? Well I don't like the Prince because he's condescending and arrogant and stubborn and-"

"You forgot: demanding."

Screams erupted across the restaurant- screams of terror that soon turned into screams of excitement.

"Your Highness," my Mom quickly bowed. "We are so sorry. It was only Kenny that said anything bad about you."

"Oh I believe that," Lucca purred.

"Mom," I hissed. "Way to sell me out."

Her eyes narrowed and she pointed a finger at me. "You go down alone."

I waved my hands, shooing everyone away and spun back to the Prince to bow. "What are you doing here, Sir?"

The Prince grinned, looking right at Indira. "I heard someone had a birthday a few months ago."

Indira screamed and sprinted across the room to the Prince.

"Indira," I hissed and she abruptly stopped. "Don't touch the Prince."

"Happy Birthday," the Prince muttered and held out a poster of the princes that had been signed personally by each.

Tears burst from her, cascading down her rosy cheeks. "Thank you so much!" My sister threw her arms around the Prince, rocking him back and forth.

"Indira, don't touch the prince!" I snapped as his guards stepped forward, but the Prince raised a hand, silently commanding them to wait outside. At that, everyone else in the room rushed over, with such speed and strength that I was pushed a few feet away.

When Indira finally let go, Lucca said, "don't thank me, thank Kenny. He is the one who asked."

An elbow nudged at my side before my Dad whispered, "the Prince is very thoughtful, huh?"