Chapter Fourteen

Unfortunately the Crown Prince was tied up again in meetings all day so the ladies spent their time in the gardens, enjoying the day in any way they wanted.

Instead of attending the meetings with him, I was asked to spend my day with the ladies. Nefeli briefly told me about them afterward and I was thoroughly grateful I didn't have to join. Not only did they sound like pure torture, but to be the Prince and be the one responsible for everything they threw his way was beyond cruel.

I found him sitting alone at a desk in the courtyard with his face buried in his hands. His dark hair was a mess as if he had been tugging at it.

When he glanced up at me striding across the stone toward him, something about the expression on his face wrenched my heart. I bowed as I reached him. "I'm sorry you're having such a rough day, Sir."

Lucca leaned back in his chair, angling his head up at me. "Why are you sorry? It's not your fault."

"Not but I wish there was something I could do to help."

"Well unless you know how I can persuade the Crown Prince of Ryelar to agree to a trade

deal with me-"

"He likes jewelry," I jumped in, "especially jewelry made with rare gemstones."

Lucca's eyes narrowed in disbelief.

I cast my gaze away when I added quietly, "and also men."

The Prince crossed his arms over his chest. "And you know all of this... how?"

"It's a long story that doesn't really matter, anyway, is there anything else I can do to help

you?"

The grin on Lucca's face had a shiver rushing down my spine. "There are a few things you can do to help me, but I don't think you'll want to do them. Especially not with our no touching policy."

"We'll I mean the rule is that you can't touch me but I guess I could touch you, I mean above the waist or anywhere that's non-sexual so I guess the feet count but some people have a foot fetish so maybe that is sexual for you so now I don't k-

"How about a massage?" Lucca rose from his desk in one swift, graceful move and made his way around the table.

My eyes went wide. "Where?"

"My back."

"Oh okay. Sure."

That warm breath hit me first, brushing against the exposed portion of my collarbone. "Were you hoping I was going to say elsewhere?"

Before I had a chance to say anything, Lucca spun around and sauntered toward his room. I followed him quietly- silently. My heart thundered in my chest, bashing against my ribs and lungs so hard that I could barely breathe at the thought of my hands on the Prince's body.

I closed the door behind me and watched as the Prince undid each button slowly, his eyes never leaving mine as he slid the shirt over his shoulders.

Lucca laid flat on his stomach, burying his face in the velvety soft pillow. He lifted his head for only a moment to say, "you should probably get on top of me."

I knelt onto the edge of the bed and spread my hands across his back. The warmth of his body, his scent swirling around us lulled me. Back and forth, I moved my hands slowly. Yet that movement lulled me too.

And my mind was no match for the strength of my eyelids, forcing themselves to close.

...

A soft touch drifted across my skin, pulling the hair off of my face.

Peacefully, feeling more rested than I had, my thoughts rushed back to me as my eyes fluttered open- the Prince blinked, staring at me from less than five inches away. I screeched and flung back- his arm wrapped around my waist, catching me before I tumbled to the ground.

"What happened?"

The Prince pulled me closer. "I broke my promise but it was only to stop you from falling."

His scent covered everything- the blankets, the pillows, the half-naked body beside me. But it was so warm, so comfortable in his bed, his embrace.

A knock sounded across the door. "Your Highness, it's me!"
"Come in!"

I scrambled to get away but the Prince held tighter as Nefeli pushed the door open.

"Kenny!?"

"Dad?" The Prince's hold loosened enough for me to jump out of the bed as my Dad barrelled in. "What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here?" He asked, gesturing his hand to the bed where the Prince was still sprawled across in nothing but loose pants.

"I fell asleep." My heart didn't thump or quicken. No, it stopped completely.

"You didn't come home and I was worried so I came to check on you." He let out a sigh of relief and said sarcastically, "turns out you were doing very well."

"It's not what it looks like."

"I'm not one to judge."

"Can we please just go?" I hurried him toward the door and offered Nefeli a pained half-smile before we left.