Chapter Eight

Quiet laughter roared around me as the ladies sauntered into the courtyard and stood side by side, awaiting the Prince's arrival.

Despite it, I didn't feel very embarrassed because I was used to wearing lady's clothing from the countless tea parties my sister's forced me to join. And considering it was made of the finest materials, it was actually quite comfortable. Unlike my old, worn out stuff.

I couldn't help but wonder where the Prince got them from... Why they were my exact size...

The lady Tamia raced over to me and said, examining every inch of my face. "Your makeup looks beautiful. Can you teach me?"

"Where did you learn? A brothel?" Elvira said, her teasing words filled with venom.

I didn't bother to look at her, to play into her remark. "I have three sisters."

"The middle one is my favourite." That was the Crown Prince's voice, and I cast my gaze to the left where he was strutting in.

I bowed.

The Prince continued, "what was her name again?"

I could feel Elvira's glaring burning through me. Shock had my throat tightening and I cleared my throat before answering, "Koa, Your Highness."

"Ahh yes. Koa," he muttered, taking his usual seat. "She's mischievous and cunning. I respect that. And her loyalty can be bought but she holds her ground until she gets exactly what she wants."

The Prince had spent only a short bit of time with my sister and yet he seemed to know her better than most.

"In fact, I quite enjoy her company and conversation," he said.

I could only blink. "I will let her know."

Silence. Not even a single noise could be heard from the group beside us. The entire time he spoke, the Prince watched them- watched Elvira.

"You seem to be awfully familiar with your attendant's family." Elvira's eyes turned sharp- piercing, before she added, "Your Highness."

"As familiar as you seem to be with the makeup taught in a brothel."

The daggers in Elivra's eyes were extinguished by the Prince's words, and I remembered then what he had said to her about his preference for sparring...

"Kenzo." The Prince was focused on me when I turned back. "I'll make you a deal. Admit that you let me win and I will end your punishment."

"No need. I accept the punishment." Anything was better than winding up dead on the shore.

The Prince smiled, shaking his head. "I don't think you want to refuse on a day like today."

Swift and silent, Nefeli made her way across the yard, those moonlight eyes stalling on me for only a moment before returning to the Prince. She said, "they are here."

"Who is here?" Saphira took the words right out of my mouth.

Whoever they were, it must have been very important, which would explain why the Prince was occupying a luxurious throne as opposed to his usual cushioned bench.

Nefeli answered, "the Ministers."

...

The Prince leaned back into the black velvet and crooked a finger at me.

With each step, my heartbeat grew faster, my breath heavier, and I wondered if the Prince could see it all through the revealing clothing.

"One last chance before the deal expires," he said. "Admit that you let me win."