Part 18- Cruel words

Cressida POV

I held the note from the owl post in-between trembling fingers. I read it at least 5 times before I decided what to do with it. As soon as my astronomy lesson finished I rushed back to the room of requirement, I needed to speak with Ominis before I made any decisions. As I entered Deek rushed up to me, holding a bony finger to his lips.

"Sssh!" He hissed at me before pointing up to the bed in the room. I followed the line his finger was pointed in to see Ominis was lay on the bed. He hadn't been sleeping well lately so it made sense. I nodded my head and slowly crept up to the upper level balcony. I slipped my shoes and outer robe off before I climbed onto the bed. I knelt next to him, sitting my weight back on my feet and just stared at him as he slept. With his eyes closed and breaths rising and falling he looked so young. All tension was gone from his face and his hair, usually swept back and perfect, was strewn across his face and looked like he had ran his hands through it a lot recently.  I let my finger trace the curve of the side of his face, he hadn't yet gotten that chiseled jawline that Sebastian sports; although I suppose he may never fill out that way. Ominis is unique in himself and has sharper features. I let my fingers dance over to the mole on his cheek, as I brushed them over it his face crumpled and he groaned under my touch. I sank down onto my elbow and gently kissed the mole on his cheek. His eyelids fluttered as he reached out and wrapped his arms around my torso. I shifted to allow him to lie on my chest as he curled round into me. We lay like that for a few moments before I felt him begin to stir and wake.

"Cressida..." He murmured sleepily. I leant down and kissed his head. He suddenly froze up before bolting upright. "I fell asleep!" He ran a hand through his disheveled hair. 

"It's OK Ominis." I took my own hands and smoothed back his hair into its usual position. "It isn't so late in the day, you have time before your next class." I kissed his forehead again and he wrapped his fingers around my wrist, pulling my hand to rest against his cheek before he planted a kiss onto my palm. 

"I guess I should be asking why you are back here so early?" I stiffened a little at his words. "Cress?"

"I received an owl from Sebastian today." I pulled my hand back to retrieve the letter from my cloak. "He said that he's been in Feldcroft with Anne, that she is getting worse but he thinks he has found a relic that can save her." I took a deep breath. "And that this relic is in a catacomb near Feldcroft. He wants me to meet him there." 

"Have you responded yet?" Ominis's hand had let go of my wrist and he was pulling his wand free from its pocket. He turned to face me, I could tell a lot was going on behind those eyes.

"No, I came to find you right away." I folded the parchment over.

"Go to him." Ominis said plainly. 

"What?" I began to protest.

"He's going to do this whether we help him or not Cressida!" Ominis's voice cracked. "At least with you going with him you can keep him safe, keep him alive. I cannot lose him, I just cannot!" Tears fell from his eyes. "It doesn't matter what he did, he's trying to save Anne, as if he thinks that will save himself. I just need him to be safe." I pulled Ominis into a hug and let my head rest on top of his.

"I will go then, I will look after him and bring him back soon." I leant back and rubbed Ominis's arms, comforting him. He placed his hands on my shoulders and pulled me in letting his lips graze over mine.

"And it will mean nothing if you don't come back." He whispered onto my lips. "Promise me that if he goes too far then you won't sacrifice yourself to save him."

"I promise." I murmured, unsure if I really meant the words I was saying. And then, I kissed him once more.