Part 15- Salazar's Crypt

Ominis POV

Frustration ate at my mind, I understood Sebastian's want to save Anne. I really did. God knows I'd want to save her myself if it were only possible. Anne had resigned herself and seeing Sebastian try so hard was painful for her; she didn't want him to lose himself trying to find an impossible cure. It was the last thing I needed after the late call from my sister last night.

My mind cast back without me meaning to. I had just settled into bed with Cressida, she was snoring softly against my chest. Clearly she had forgiven me and Sebastian for our planning we had left her out of. I placed a kiss on her forehead as the knock on the door came. I cursed under my breath as I gently slid out of the bed; she stayed asleep. Thank Merlin. I approached the door, grabbing up my cane as I hesitantly placed a hand on the door handle. 

"Ominis." A familiar voice whispered from the other side. "Open up, we need to talk."

"Aporia." I tugged the door open, secretly glad that my younger sister was the one behind it. "To what do I owe this late night pleasure?" I slipped out of the room, closing the door quietly behind me. 

"Ominis, you look tired." I flinched as her hand touched my cheek. I brought my own hand up to her face, she had gotten taller, her cheeks still held the childlike roundness but I could begin to feel her cheekbones raise up beneath it. She was 11 years old now, she would start Hogwarts in September, time marched on at home, no matter what I was doing. "Are you eating properly and sleeping well?"

"I'm fine." I grabbed her wrist and pulled it from my face. "Were you at the party?"

"Yes." I heard her shuffle her feet. "She is beautiful but you know mother and father won't allow it." 

"They don't have a choice." I could feel my temper rising, but tried to keep it in check. It wasn't Aporia's fault. "I declared it to the whole party, they can't disparage that."

"Whilst that is true..." She was hesitating. "Mother believes there is something coming, a tournament next year. One that she would see your  fiancees name be entered into. It's extremely dangerous and has had fatalities in the past. If that fails then they will just look for other ways."

"I won't allow them to do that!" My voice crept up a few decibels. "I will protect Cressida, no matter what."

"I don't doubt that Ominis." She was shuffling once more. "Just be careful. You might be the heir but father has his eye on the Black family, Astorios, to be my betrothed when he comes of age next year. They said he could replace you as the family heir." 

"Betrothed?! You'll be 12 years old!" I was raising my voice now.

"Mother was my age when she was betrothed to father!" She was shouting now too. "She didn't wed him until they were 18. I would be afforded the same..." She was sniffling. I'd made her cry.

"Aporia..." I spoke more softly again. Her footsteps were moving away from me. I punched the wall next to my doorway. I reopened the door quietly and threw my cane to the ground. Cressida was snoring softly. Thank Merlin for that.

In my present rage with Sebastian, I had walked out of Feldcroft and was on the road. I grabbed the remnants of the floo powder out of my pocket and threw it down. I arrived back in the familiar sounds and feel of the Hogwarts main entrance. Finally feeling more at home, I took myself off to the undercroft. I spent the time pacing, reviewing my charms spells and trying to refocus on school work. It didn't take long before I heard 2 sets of familiar footsteps enter and echo around the Undercroft. 

"Care to explain how the 2 of you just turned up here?" I could tell I sounded bitter. I couldn't help it. I couldn't even find solace in the Undercroft now.