Chapter 30. Kai

Carlos called us back and this time the three of us gathered around the phone eager to hear what he had found.

"The person I talked to you about," he said with a mix of mystery and nonchalance that seemed to be his signature mood. "They told me it looks like an old ritual, specific to a certain region in Central America. The glyph works as a lock. There's supposed to be another one situated on an object, and when you reunite the two parts, like a magnet, the lock opens. You don't need to cast a spell yourself. You just have to find the other glyph."

"Okay," Dovi said. "Is the glyph in itself significant?"

Carlos shook his head. "The ritual can be done with any glyph. Your friend may have chosen this one because it had a sentimental value for her for instance, like using a birthday as a password."

"I see."

We looked at one another, hesitating on what to do next.

"Thank you so much, Carlos, for your help," Citlali said.

Carlos smiled and waved his hand. "Of course, that's nothing."

I stood up to prepare some tea. Dovi and Citlali followed me and sat on each side of the kitchen table. "So, any ideas?" I asked.

"You said the word is sculpture," Dovi asked Citlali.

"Yes. But, with just this glyph and no more context, I can't say more."

"Sculpture," I repeated absent-mindedly, pouring hot water in the mugs.

Suddenly, I had an idea. I closed my eyes and shook my head. Maybe it was a stupid idea. It could not be that. And if was not, it would look like I was bringing everything back to me. I had to check by myself first.

I gave Citlali and Dovi their mug and left the room.

"Kai?" Citlali said, with concern in her voice.

"It's okay. Don't worry," I said over my shoulder. "Stay there. I'll just check something."

I went straight to the garden and to the sculpture I had offered to Ameyal. I extended my hand towards it and hesitated for a second. Could it be the answer?

With a deep breath, I took the small metallic sculpture in my hand and lifted it.

I couldn't help to scream when I saw the small glyph on the base. Dovi and Citlali were at my side in an instant.

"Are you alright, love?" Dovi said.

I lifted the sculpture towards them and gestured at the base. "I found it. Look!"

Citlali's eyes widened, and Dovi smiled. "How did you know?" They said at the same time.

"It was a wild guess. But I gave this to Ameyal. I thought that maybe..."

They side-hugged me and I smiled. However, the atmosphere tensed quickly as we all realized that some answers were now close and that these answers may be difficult to deal with.

We exchanged some looks and hugged one another even more tightly before going back to the house and taking the stairs to the sitting room. I led the way, the sculpture in my hand.

 I led the way, the sculpture in my hand