Chapter 21. Kai

"I guess I'm in a polyamory relationship with two vampires" was not my first thought when I woke up in Dovi's hotel room, my chest curled up around their back.

But it was the second. Or at least the third, after my hunger for breakfast.

A few years back, a supernatural had broken my heart, and I was now in the arms of two. Except I felt secure, as I never had with Ameyal. Not like that. Dovi and Citlali had never made me feel less than them since I had met them. And now, there was this intimacy, which I would not say was easy but more that it was enticing.

Already that first night, and that first day, it was obvious that my two lovers had a level of perception of us, of the physicality of us, of our emotions - I would have been tempted to say of our souls if I knew what it meant exactly - that was unreachable for me. That there was an entire world I could not experience yet, maybe never.

They were vampires, and they were so much older than I was. I could have felt jealous, or threatened, or sad, but I didn't. On the contrary, it sounded almost comforting, to see how they sometimes interacted with each other, with one look, with one touch. And how they could read some of my reactions as an open book.

I craved their presence, physically and emotionally. They were so different one from the other. And so different from me too. But I felt a deep connection in terms of how we perceived the world. I had the word in mind, since that first moment we shared. I couldn't escape it and I didn't want to. Love.

So we had breakfast, and we lingered in Dovi's room as long as we could. And at some point, I felt bold and happy and I said to them, not the word itself yet, but how I felt at that moment and they told me the same thing, and we kissed.

The next night, we moved to my apartment, because it was bigger and more comfortable. And it felt so strange to have them in my home, where not many had been before.

We cooked together, ate together, and we talked about going back to Ameyal's house the next day. We felt ready. And Citlali told us she wanted to explore what I had found.

"We'll be there for you every step of the way," I told her.

She smiled and took my hand. Dovi stood behind her and wrapped their arm around her chest. Citlali rested her head against their shoulder and kissed their jaw.

 Citlali rested her head against their shoulder and kissed their jaw