Chapter 16. Citlali

"Are you alright?" I asked Kai, my coat still on and the paper bag with our lunch cradled against my chest.

The immortal, seated on the couch, was looking at the garden through the window and didn't turn her head towards us when Dovi and I entered the house.

I looked at the vampire, who seemed as concerned as I was. I put the bag on the table and crouched in front of Kai, my hand on her knee.

"What is it, honey? Are you okay?"

She leaned towards me and crumpled in my arms. She was not crying but her breathing was ragged. I held her tight.

"I'm glad you're back," she said. "It was lonely here, all by myself."

"We're here, Kai," said Dovi, while sitting next to her and resting their hand on her back. They looked at the table and I followed their glance to the closed notebook on it.

"You've found what you were looking for?" Dovi asked.

Kai pulled back from my embrace, her red hair hiding a part of her face. "Yes. I knew it was a fake excuse. She thought I was too young to be with her."

Dovi frowned. "Is it exactly what she wrote?"

"No." Kai waved her hand. "She thought I deserved better than her. That I needed to experiment before settling in. Bullshit."

"I see."

"So you think she was right," she said.

"No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that I understand why she thought that way."

Kai snorted. "Of course, you do." She stood up. "I need some fresh air. I'll go for a walk and I'll see you later." And as a second thought, she turned to me, her expression softening. "Are you alright?"

I smiled. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me."

She nodded and, with that, she took her coat and left us alone in the house.

I sat beside Dovi and rested my hand on their thigh. "She just needs some time," I said.

"I know. I just don't like that she's in pain. I care about both of you, Lali."

The use of the diminutive and the blunt admission warmed my heart. I realized I felt the same way about these two people I had just met a few days ago. "I don't like it either and I care about you too."

As much as I was worried for Kai, I was worried for Dovi too. It was quite obvious now that I knew them better that they were the kind of person to take all the burdens of the world on their shoulders. And even if I felt sad and angry, I wanted to take care of them.

Dovi took my hand and squeezed it. A smile lightened their beautiful face. "You want to continue our research?"

"I'll put our food in the fridge first and then I'll join you in the office."

And before I let go of their hand, I rubbed my thumb gently on their skin.

***

Total wordcount: 8160

Dear Citlali has passed round 1 of ONC and, with more than 8000 words, is now ready to enter round 2. Thank you so much for your incredible support!

 Thank you so much for your incredible support!