Chapter 27. Kai

We shared with Citlali our idea of tidying the house. A flash of sadness darkened her gaze, but she nodded. "You're right. It's a good idea. But... what we will do with the house?"

I looked at Dovi. "I don't know. We haven't discussed that," they said.

"Maybe, for now, we can sort out her papers, clothes, and personal items and then we'll see."

Citlali agreed, and we decided to store in the cellar everything we thought should be kept. I started with the second bedroom, while Dovi and Citlali were working in the sitting room.

The furniture and the decorations on the wall were the most interesting things in this room, and I didn't touch them. Instead, I emptied the drawer and the closet. There were linen, spare clothes, and bags that we could give to charity.

After I finished, I sat on the bed and looked around me, as if to take the room in one last time before it would disappear.

I heard Citlali and Dovi on the first floor and went to join them. "Can I have a hug?" I said opening my arms while I entered the kitchen.

Citlali smiled and opened her arms too. I strode towards her and buried my face into her neck and the scent of her hair.

"Everything's alright?" She asked.

"Yep," I replied, not pulling away from her embrace.

"I'm thinking pastry shop, hot chocolate. The gym is fine sometimes, but let's not forget the most important thing: sugar."

"You so speak my language," I kept on mumbling against her skin. "I love you."

I stiffened in panic. I didn't plan that. The words had just slipped from my mouth uncontrollably.

She tightened her embrace and leaned her head against mine. "I love you too," she said.

My heart rate calmed a little, but I pulled away to glance at Dovi, anxious about their reaction. But they smiled, and I saw no expectations or challenge or resentment in their eyes. Only their ever-comforting calm and warmth. We would say the words to each other when it would feel right, not to be polite.

I hugged them too. "I'm not as much a sweet tooth as both of you, but nobody should say no to hot chocolate and a pastry. So I'm in," they said. "Do you know a place?"

I snorted, rolling my eyes. "Do I know a place? Please. I know the place."

Dovi laughed. "Of course, you do."

We went to the living room to take our coats and bags, but Dovi let me walk first, lingering for a few seconds in the kitchen to let Citlali the time to reach them. Still a bit anxious, I glanced at them in the corner of my eyes to see if one of them would show a sign of being upset.

Dovi extended their hand towards Citlali with a smile, as to acknowledge that everything was fine, and she took it. She even rested her head on their shoulder for a second, responding as clearly as if she had said the words to Dovi's comforting gesture.

I turned away from them, unable to erase the grin on my face, while I put on my coat and scarf and tucked my rebellious hair under a beanie.