Chapter 20. Dovi

After the Italian restaurant, it was hard to keep my hands off Lali or Kai. I needed to feel their skin at all times, like a lifeline. The evening couldn't stop there in front of this restaurant, but I didn't want to go back to Ameyal's either. It was a moment just for us to taste and to explore.

My hotel was the closest, so we went there, in a haze. I'm not sure anyone decided it. It just happened. The hotel hall was busy, the lights bright, and music came from the bar. We took the elevator without a look at the decor. I wanted the heartbeat of my lovers to be the only sound I could hear.

Then we were in my room, and the night went still, off-time, like a bubble of warmth, desire, and love. The space to suspend the flow of a minute in the brush of fingertips and to shatter the density between bodies like a gravitational wave.

I wanted to imprint every second in my bones to remember it when I would forget everything. And I buried my self into their scent and the pulse of their heart until sleep enveloped me.

When I woke up with my head on Lali's chest and Kai's arm around my waist, I smiled. It was hard to believe that in the grand scheme of things, I ended up there, in this bed, in this city, with them. I could feel their overwhelming presence against my skin and the weight of their bodies, but the only thing I could think about was that I wanted to see their eyes.

I wanted to glance at them and acknowledge their presence for me, hoping they would acknowledge my presence for them too.

I stayed still, my mind wandering, until Kai's fingers stroked gently the curve of my hip. It took a few minutes for Lali to wake up too. And when she did, I dared to move.

We wanted to enjoy this moment, not to think about the reason we were there and what we wanted to do later in the day, nor to discuss what the night before meant for us. So we ordered breakfast and stayed in the room. Just for a few hours more.

And there were moments when I kissed Lali, and others when I took Kai's hand in mine. And when I rested my head on Kai's lap, she stroked my neck and my shoulders, until I closed my eyes again.

 And when I rested my head on Kai's lap, she stroked my neck and my shoulders, until I closed my eyes again