Chapter 3. Kai (she)

"Mrs. Stevens, of course, we were waiting for your call," said the voice on the phone. "The two other persons have already contacted us. When would you be available to come and open the safe?"

"I live in New York. I can be there whenever the others will be ready."

"Very well. Then I'll reach back to you with a date as soon as possible."

"Thank you." I hesitated. "Can you tell me the names of these persons?"

"I'm afraid I can't, Madam."

I opened my mouth to retort but this poor bank employee was just doing his job. "I understand," I sighed. "I'll be waiting for your message."

I put down my phone and looked at it as if it were seconds away to come to life. Of course, nothing happened on the dark screen.

It took me a few days before finding the courage to make that call. A few days of shock and inefficient alcohol after the disgusting emotional rollercoaster of believing that I was going to hear back from Ameyal, just to discover that she was.... I was not ready to use this word yet.

The remains of my computer still lay on the floor near the wall opposite my bed. I didn't really remember when I had tossed it and destroyed it.

A few days of blur. But no tears. A haze of incredulity, wrapped in anger and pain, but the kind of pain that makes you want to scream or hit a wall.

And then what? Did these mysterious people know about Ameyal? Were they immortals like us? Did I know them? Did they know me?

I laughed in the silence of my apartment. Ameyal had always been like me. She had a sense of drama that was incredibly appealing. Except when it was not.

A fleeting memory of her touch on my skin made me shiver. I closed my eyes trying to shut down my mind. She was so beautiful. She had made me feel beautiful like no one else had before her.

I felt sick. I had to go out for a walk or something. Do something. I put on my coat, scarf, and gloves to brave the New York blizzard and wandered in the streets of my neighborhood.

But soon enough, I felt a buzz in my pocket. Another email. From the bank. I read it and answered frantically that I was available on the date they were proposing.

It was done. The meeting was set. Two days later, I would finally have some answers. At least, I hoped so.

I put away my phone and hesitated for a minute, before turning my heels and heading back to my apartment.