11

Regency fields, Jyrhill, Lomu

It was long past the nineteenth hour and Omar was already starting to worry when one of the As Anash keeping his door finally pushed the door open to announce Genul's arrival

He let out a shy exhale of relief. Standing beside a window across the room, Mama Kashira nodded encouragingly, and Omar ordered, "Allow him to enter."

As the As Anash bowed and walked backward until he reached the door, Omar straightened himself, loosened the tight belt around his waist, and looked forward. He didn't know why he was so stressed. Genul being there was proof that he had had the upper hand.

A few seconds later, Genul was inside. He took in the room, advancing with cautious steps as if entering enemy territory.

"Welcome," Omar said, but Genul did not respond. Omar had seen more of this man than anyone would have been comfortable with. He had bribed the nightmare demons who were attracted by his fleshpaths for information on him. They had shown him his pain and the rawest details of his history. Omar knew enough to realize right away that after yesterday's combat, something inside the Kuratian Surig had changed.

"Here I am," the Surig said like the words caused him physical pain. "To become an As Anash."

"Good," Omar said. "It will be quick because we must join the other Jyr in the great dome soon. On your knees." He watched the Surig's sink to his knees, eyes never looking away from him. Omar wished a nightmare demon would whisper in his ears what Genul was thinking right now. But he had a clue very unlikely to reveal untrue.

In Genul's position, Omar would be burning with the same hatred. He even doubted he would have been able to be as reasonable as Genul. He wondered if he would rather lose what he valued the most than surrender like that for a greater cause.

"Kashira please," Omar called.

Kashira strolled across the room, a needle in hand. She too sensed Genul tensing. "This is not a needle of the occult," she reassured him, "Just plain metal, not Oluva. Repeat after me."

With great difficulty, Genul repeated the sermon of the sky warriors after Mama Kash:

Before God Almighty and men, I swear to serve the regent of Lomurat and his lineage. By taking his blood inside me, I welcome the blessing of the original As Anash, the army of the skies, and the fathers of the Jyr, whom God designated to rule over the land of Lomu.

"High Jyr," Mama Kash called. Omar walked up to her and offered his palm for the blood collection. She stung him with the needle. Then she grabbed Genul's hand and stung his palm too. All the while, Genul never took his eyes off Omar.

"Congratulations on becoming the first kuratian As Anash," Omar mused but Genul was having none of it. He stood, towering over Omar like it was an affront.