07

Regency Fields, Jyrhill, Lomu

"Leave us alone, will you?" the regent asked in a soft voice as soon as the gates of the palace's grounds closed behind them

Genul had been dragged by two armed As Anash who flanked him at each side, keeping him at sword-point. He was standing behind the regent, with his gaze fixated on the man's silver-ringed fingers, still trying to process what was happening. How the regent knew that he would come to the palaces and had deployed everything to imprison him. Upon the regent's demand, both guards lowered their blades and they left, with only the grey-haired woman remaining.

The regent carried on when the As Anash were out of sight. "Genul ApKelari. Renowned Surig from a family of the high society of Kurat, from the western district if I'm not mistaken. Twenty-seven years old. Honorable undergraduate of the Kuratian Central Military Academy of the year 1809. Aspirant Chief of the Eagle Squadron until the year 1812 when your parents, Kaala ApKelari and Jioma ApHuru died during the attacks aimed at Governor Paol ApLeni."

He paused, turned on his heels with a quick spin, and scratched his chin, eyes narrow and pensive. "Didn't think of it before but perhaps you leaving the military and your parents dying are related, huh?"

Genul couldn't tell if it was a suggestion or a question, but he knew that he was not supposed to speak. He came from an affluent family that had occupied important positions in the Kuratian army for generations, but Genul wasn't a political figure, and after abandoning his dream to lead the Eagle Squadrons along with Kenit, he had even been relatively anonymous in Kurat society.

It both baffled and frightened him that the regent would be so intent on collecting the slightest details about him. With an awful sinking feeling in his stomach, he realized that he had awfully underestimated the task he had set out for.

"Well, I'm inclined to say it doesn't matter if the events are related," the regent said in the end. "But I don't want to sound dismissive, considering that your betrothed was butchered just a few days ago," he sighed. "My condolences."

"Vermin!" Genul spat out before his reason could overtake his rage, his interiors boiling, pulse racing. A single pace toward the regent, and a blade shot for his throat. Cold metal pressed firmly along the length of his neck, almost biting at his skin.

"I'd rethink that," the woman said, her grip firm on the blade. Genul found himself shaking, teeth chattering inside his mouth.

"Vermin..." the regent echoed. "Why insult me so unprovoked like that?" he asked. "Did I get my facts wrong? If so, I beg you to correct me, please."

The woman spoke before Genul could react. "Another word or the slightest movement and I will cut you." To prove her intentions, her blade now pressed deeper into Genul's skin, his apple colliding uncomfortably with the blade when he swallowed. She watched Genul like a predator, with deep black eyes brandishing disconcerting confidence. "You will calm yourself down and collaborate or die here like a dog."