"Woh... woh mujhe baba ke ghar jana tha..." When nothing came to mind, Kubra hesitantly said, averting her gaze from Sarim.

(I... I wanted to go to Baba's house.)

"Theek hai, main tumhe drop kar dunga, shaam mein tumhe pick bhi kar lunga." As Sarim folded the newspaper, he said.

(Okay, I'll drop you off, and I'll pick you up in the evening.)

"Lekin tumhara office toh opposite mein hai, tum late ho jaoge." Kubra knew Sarim's office is far from Mirza House.

(But your office is opposite, you'll be late.)

"Doesn't matter." Sarim simply shrugged his shoulder.

It was a small thing, but the way Sarim himself was dropping Kubra home made her feel a sense of happiness in her heart.

•••

Hyra was discharged by the next morning. Only then Hayder took a relief breath. Hyra was fine, just a little shaken up. 

Hayder helped Hyra to sit on the bed, weariness etched into her features. Hayder wanted to say something, anything to ease her burden, but words failed him. Instead, he sat beside her and gently hugged her, offering a silent reassurance.

Hyra finally spoke up, her voice soft and tentative. "Hayder, I'm sorry."

Hayder thought that Hyra was apologizing because she had gone into the sea despite the fact that he told her not to.

"Koi baat nahi, lekin agey se dhyan rakhna. Samundar ki lehre bohot tezz hoti hain, Hyra, maine issi liye mana kiya tumhe waha jane ke liye..." he kissed her head and told her.

(It's okay, but be careful next time. The waves in the sea are very strong and fast, Hyra, that's why I refused to let you go there.)

"Main nahi ja rahi thi, lekin..." Hyra started explaining, but then she paused.

(I didn't go there, but then...)

"Lekin?" Hayder asked. He also wanted to know how all this happened.

(Then?)

"Main kinare pe thi jab mujhe laga meri payal nahi hai, shayad wave ke sath woh beh gayi toh main bas ussey dhoondne gayi thi..."

(I was on the shore when I felt my ankles were missing, maybe it got washed away with the wave, so I was just looking for it...)

"Tumhara dimagh theek hai?" Hayder pulled away from the hug and looked at her.

(Are you out of your mind?)

"Tum samundar mein payal dhoondne gayi thi? Samundar hai woh, Hyra, swimming pool nahi ki niche tumhe mil jati payal. Beh gayi thi toh beh jane deti." Hayder had no intention of scolding her, but there was firmness in his voice along with surprise.

(You went into the sea to find anklets? It's the sea, Hyra, not a swimming pool where you find your anklet at the bottom. If it got washed away, you should've let it go.)

Hyra bowed her head down. "Badi ammi ki payal thi, aise kaise behne deti." In a small voice, Hyra replied, her eyes downcast, and the way her words trembled, it was evident that tears welled up in her eyes.

(It was your mother's anklet, how could I let it go like that.)

Upon her hearing this, Hayder fell silent for a moment, then he spoke, his voice softer this time. "Jo cheez chali gayi, chali gayi, tumhe uske piche nahi jana chahiye tha konsa tumhe mil jati."