Chapter 25

"Rafey, mere samajh nahi araha itni bhi kya jaldi hai?" Tabu asked to her only son.

(Rafey, I don't understand, what's the hurry?)

Rafey was sitting on the couch in his room, his phone propped up in front of him, the screen displaying a video call with his mother, who is comfortably settled in her home in Australia.

"Mom, hum kabse engaged hain, shadi toh hogi na humari. Toh issi saal kyu nahi? Uswa ki studies bhi ho chuki hai aur agar woh chahegi toh agey ki study Australia mein kar legi." Rafey tried to make his mother understand.

(Mom, we've been engaged for a while now, so when will our wedding happen? She has completed her studies, and if she wants, she can continue her studies in Australia.)

"Par mujhe abhi bhi samajh mein nahi araha tumhare dimagh mein aya kaha se yeh? Kal tak toh tumne aisa kuch zikar nahi kiya. Fir achanak se shadi ki baat?" Tabu looked puzzled, her brow furrowing as she tries to understand the urgency.

(But I still don't understand where this came from all of a sudden. Until yesterday, you hadn't mentioned anything like this. And now suddenly, talk of marriage?)

Rafey takes a deep breath, his heart racing as he steels himself for the conversation. "Uswa ke liye rishte arahe hain. Kal function mein koi lady badi mummy se Uswa ke rishte ke liye puch rahi thi. Uswa aur main engaged hain but it seems like people here still don't understand that."

(Because marriage proposals are coming for her. Yesterday at the function, a lady was inquiring about her marriage proposals to aunty. Uswa and I are engaged, but it seems like people here still don't understand that.)

Tabu's expression softens as she senses her son's distress. She knows what Uswa means to him. "Rafey, main samajhti hoon tumhari feelings, lekin sirf iss wajah se shadi karna ki Uswa ke liye rishte arahe hain, yeh samajhdari nahi."

(Rafey, I understand your feelings, but getting married just because there are proposals for Uswa isn't wise.)

"Lekin hum engaged bhi kabse hain." Rafey argued.

(But we've been engaged for a while now.)

Tabu's takes a thoughtful sip of her tea, her gaze distant as she contemplates Rafey's words. "Achha tumne Uswa se iss silsile mein baat ki?"

(Okay, did you discuss this with Uswa?)

"Ki thi, usko bataya maine ki ek aunty apne bete ke liye tumhara hath mang rahi hain toh kehti hai hath bhi koi donate karne wali cheez hai, main kyu apna hath donate karu." Running his hand in his hair, Rafey answered her.

(I did. I told her that an aunt was asking for her hand in marriage for her son, and she said, 'Why should I donate my hand?')

At first, Tabu looked at Rafey with wide eyes, waiting for him to say he is joking, but when he didn't, Tabu starts laughing on Uswa's statement, making Rafey smile too.

It took Uswa several minutes to actually understand the real meaning.

"Achha theek hai, tum tension mat lo. Main tumhare dad se iss silsile pe baat karti hoon." Tabu reassures him. Their conversation continues as Tabu asked about yesterday's event and is Kubra happy.

(Alright, don't worry, I'll talk to your father about this.)

•••

Burhan had urgently called Minal, asking her to return home promptly. This unexpected summons led Hanif Mirza to call Hayder home. It was a well-known fact that Hayder was the one who always ensured Minal's safe journey back home. He never allows Shahzaib to drive car for extended period. Unfortunately, Hayder and Hyra's private moment was abruptly interrupted.