Chapter 30

Mohabbat mein marziyan nahi chalti hain
Gardane jhukayi jati hain hukum-e-yaar par

°°°

With weary footsteps, Dawar entered his home. Regret filled him for talking to Laraib in such a manner. There were other ways to handle the situation. He had planned to apologize to Laraib, but an empty house awaited him.

Dawar searched the kitchen, bedroom, guest rooms, washroom, balcony, but Laraib was nowhere to be found. Opening a cupboard, he discovered her clothes were missing. Closing the cupboard with a loud noise, he went to sit on the bed. The intention to excuse himself to Laraib had turned into frustration.

•••

"Laraib, taiyyar ho jao niche tumhari saas ayi hain." Nazish informed her daughter through the door.

(Laraib, get ready; your mother-in-law is here.)

"Woh kyu ayi hain?" Laraib asked while drying her wet hair with a towel, she has just got out of shower.

(Why did she come?)

"Uswa ki shadi ka card dene ayi hain, jaldi taiyyar ho aur niche aao."

(She's here to give invitation of Uswa's wedding. Get ready quickly and come downstairs.)

"Mummy, taiyyar hone ka aap aise keh rahi hain jaise woh pehli baar mera rishta lene ayi ho?" Laraib rolled her eyes, then pondered. "Lekin kyu ayi hain?"

(Mom, the way you're asking me to get ready, it seems like she's coming to propose for the first time.)

(But why did she come?)

"Kaha na card dene ayi hain." Saying this, Nazish left.

(I told you, she's here to give the wedding card.)

"Nahi, Shayad sab janne ke liye ayi hain." Laraib suspected Dawar had returned home, and Asim and Rabia had come to know what happened between them. This realization dampened Laraib's mood.

(No, maybe she came to know everything.)

•••

Asim and Rabia were surprised to see Laraib there. Laraib stiff demeanor added to their embarrassment. Nazish tried hard to maintain a calm atmosphere.

Asim drove to Dawar's house to talk to him.

"Hua kya tum dono ke beech?" Rabia asked Dawar again, who remained reluctant to share. He was already embarrassed that his parents knew Laraib is living with her parents. Dawar believed Laraib would come back on her own after gaining some sense.

(What happened between you two?)

"Mummy, kuch bhi nahi hua bas aunty ki tabiyat theek nahi thi isliye." Dawar made a feeble excuse.

(Mom, nothing happened; Aunty wasn't feeling well, that's all.)

"Mujhe sakhti karne pe majboor mat karo, Dawar." Asim warned him. "Hyra ke sath Hayder ka rawaiyya tumhe itna nagawara tha ki tum ussey apne sath le aye, aur ab tum apni biwi ke sath wahi kar rahe ho." Asim was trying to control his anger, but it was evident that his daughter-in-law is living with her parents in such a condition bothered him.

(Don't force me to be strict, Dawar.)

(You didn't like how Hayder treated Hyra and you brought her along with you, and now you're doing the same with your wife.)

"Aap mujhe Hayder se compare kar rahe hain?" Dawar looked shocked, turning to his father.

(You are comparing me with Hayder?)