Chapter 26

Hyra's heart skipped a beat, and she slowly untangled herself from the embrace they had shared. Wide-eyed, she stared at him,

Hayder, with a soft smile which made dimples appear on his cheeks, reached out and brushed a stray lock of hair away from her face, his fingers lingering on her cheek.

"Tumne uss raat kaha tha meri zindagi mein agar tumhari jagah nahi toh bed pe bhi nahi honi chahiye..." He spoke, his voice gentle and reassuring, "Lekin meri zindagi aur dil mein sirf tum ho, sirf tumhari jagah hai."

(You said that night that if there is no place for you in my life, then there shouldn't be a place on the bed either...)

(But in my life and heart, there's only you, only your place.)

Hyra's heart was racing, she had never imagined that he would remember this complaint of her on their wedding night, nor had she thought that he would resolve it in this way. Her heart was pounding so fast, as if it would jump out of her chest.

Hayder had spoken his mind, and now he awaited her response. He looked deep into her eyes, as if searching for his answer in Hyra's gaze.

"Nahi," Hyra's voice was barely audible and distant, and it took great effort to utter that one word.

(No,)

Hayder had not expected this answer, and in line with his nature, he felt a surge of anger at the rejection. He wanted to forcefully take her to the bed, but he restrained himself. He remembered his conversation with Hyra a little while ago. He had told her to do things of her own accord, so now he couldn't take her to the bed against her will.

"So jao, lights on rahengi," Hayder said softly, then got up and left.

(You can sleep. I'll keep the lights on,)

Hayder couldn't help but feel a sense of frustration. He had apologized to Hyra and even confessed his feelings, but if she still chose to distance herself and put up barriers, he wasn't going to beg on his knees. There was a limit to how many tantrums he could endure, and his own pride was at stake here.

Hyra felt an overwhelming sense of loneliness as Hayder left like this. He had been close, and her heart had been pounding so intensely. Now, with him gone, an eerie silence surrounded her.

There isn't a huge distant between them, and he is right there on the bed. Hyra tried to console her heart. But the inner silence was now more terrifying than that horror movie. Why couldn't she said yes? Why did she say no? Even she couldn't understand herself.

•••

Tabu didn't take much time to talk to her husband. She talked Ibtisham about Rafey and Uswa's marriage, but didn't mention that it was Rafey's wish. Ibtisham Mirza, as always, shrugged his shoulders.

Ibtisham was busy and couldn't just keep traveling to India repeatedly, and that too just to keep fix dates. He didn't want to send Tabu either. He told Tabu that he would discuss this matter with Asim over the phone.

Tabu was surprised by her husband's clever idea. She held her head in astonishment and then said that he shouldn't do this either. "Aisi baatein phone toh nahi hoti. Agar aap bohot zyada busy hain toh baba kar lenge iss silsile mein baat, waise bhi woh bade hain ghar ke."

(You can not discuss these things over phone. If you are so busy, then baba can talk to Asim bhai about this,)

"Jaisa tumhe theek lage. Ab zara Rafey se bhi kaho ki wapas ajaye, bohot waqt reh liya waha, aye yaha pe kaam pe dhyan de." After finishing his breakfast, he told his wife and got up.