Chapter 17

"Ji?" Entering the room, Hyra stood beside the door and asked.

(Yes?)

"Baitho baat karni hai." Hayder, who was sitting on the bed, points at in front of him and ordered her.

(Sit, I wanna talk to you.)

Hesitantly, Hyra went to sit there. She sat on the edge of the bed, away from him.

Hayder covered those distance and scoot closer to her.

"Hyra!" He called her softly, taking her hand in his, giving her shock. Nervously, Hyra tried to back off, but she was already on the edge, she was about to fall, Hayder hold her waist with his free hand.

"Main current toh nahi marta." He asked her on her behaviour.

(I don't give electric shock.)

"Aap... aap durr hoke baat kariye." Mumbling, Hyra removes her hand off from him and stood up from the bed.

(You... maintain a distance while talking.)

"Dekho, jab humari shadi hui thi toh main gussa tha." Hayder also stood up and went behind her. She was not facing him, rubbing her hands together, she tried to calm her heart down.

(Look, when we got married, I was angry.)

"Isliye tumse woh sab kaha jo nahi kehna chahiye tha." Hyra have never heard Hayder's voice this calm, at least not with her. And it made her more nervous.

(And that's why I said all of that to you which I shouldn't have said.)!

"Toh? Ab aisa kya hua jo aap yeh sab keh rahe hain?" Turning to him, she asked. "Mujhse shadi karna apke liye saza haina." Her voice was low, as she was trying not to let him show how nervous she was.

(So? Now what happened that you are saying this?)

(Marrying me is a punishment for you right?)

"Hyra, listen, shadi koi khel nahi hai..."

(Hyra, marriage is not a kid's play...)

"Main janti hoon." She interrupts him. "Lekin apko shadi ke itne mahine baad yaad araha hai yeh sab."

(I know that.)

(But now you remember this?)

"Hyra, main kya keh raha hoon sunn toh lo, tum purani baatein kyu leke baithi ho." Exasperatedly, Hayder asked.

(Hyra, listen what I am saying. Why are you talking about old things.)

Hyra stare at his face for few seconds, to find if he is for real. Then gulping down her tears, she spoke. "Kyuki purani baatein dil mein ghar kar jaye toh unhe bhoolna mushkil hota hai, Hayder." Her voice was not loud like his, even if she was on the edge of bursting in tears, her voice was soft.

(Because when old things make place in our hearts, forgetting them is difficult, Hayder.)

"Apne kaha tha tumse shadi karna saza hai, apne faisla suna diya ki mujhse koi umeed na rakhna, ab keh rahe hain ki gusse mein tha. Gusse mein aap kuch bhi nahi keh sakte, aur yeh umeed nahi laga sakte ki main bhool jau sab aur jab aap jaisa kahe waisa karu."