Chapter 9 : Hopes

Aparajita

"What is it?" I ask the maid who entered my chamber.

"It's a letter for you, Rajkumari." She says showing her courtesy.

"Leave it on the table." I say her pointing to the dressing table.

She leaves the letter on the table and leave. I wonder who is it from. I've never received any letter after coming to Kapila. I decide to read that letter later. For now, I need to check on something more important. I leave my chamber leaving Kamakshi in the chamber, just in case.

I walk quickly to the other side of the palace. I make sure I am noticed by minimum people. Afterall I cannot avoid everyone I meet. I reach upto my destination. There are a lots of guards there, as anticipated. But that shouldn't be a problem. I show them the scroll I carried with me before leaving. They allow me to enter the room. They open the gigantic door for me.

I enter the room. There he is. Rishabha. He's in the balcony with a glass of water in his hand. He must've been alone for weeks now. Nobody in the palace except selected guards and servants were allowed to meet him. I start walking towards him. He turns around, sensing me, perhaps my anklets.

"Aparajita! I thought we'd never meet." He says with a huge smile.

"We don't have time for this. I told you to keep your mouth shut in front of Kamakshi. She doesn't know anything. Why don't you understand?" I say in a sharp tone.

His smile faded away. "I'm sorry Rajkumari, I'll take care in the future." He says bowing his head.

Better. I go closer to him, grab the uttariya he's worn.

"You better obey me, if you wish to live." I warn him.

I see fear forming in his eyes. God, I love it! Fear feeds my ego. He nods without saying a single word. But I must say, he's the only person around whom I can be myself. For others, I have to be innocent little princess.

"So, what's..." I begin.

"Leave my uttariya from your grasp." He cuts me in the middle.

Whoa! I didn't see this coming. When did he get so daring? I leave his uttariya, not wanting any drama. I will punish him for his audacity later. He removes his uttariya as soon as I leave it and throws it on the floor. I see him in amazement.

"अपराजिता, आपको लगता है आप ऐसे ही हमारी भावनाओं के साथ खेल सकती है? सत्य कहे तो हम आपकी सहायता करने एक ही कारण से आए थे. हम प्रेम करते है आपसे. अपराजिता, एक बार हमारी आंखों में देखे और बताए कि इनमे आपने आपके लिए प्रेम नही देखा." He says cupping my face.

God Vishnu! Two flirts weren't enough for this palace that you sent one more? But I needed his help, so I had to keep up with his nonsense.

"I understand your feelings. But our motive for now is, you winning me in the swayamvar." I say getting impatient.

"But what after that? If I help you, will you marry me? What do I get from this deal?" He says taking grasp of my shoulders.