Chapter 4 : Politics

Aparajita

I enter his chamber, closing the door behind me. It is the biggest, most elegant room I've ever seen. It's simple, yet sophisticated. There are intricate golden designs on white walls. A small yet beautiful chandelier hanging in the middle of the room. I must admit, he has good taste.

"Rajkumari Aparajita..." He turns around as he hears the door close. "Hope everything in your chamber is according to your taste." He adds

"Why did you summon me, Rajkumar?" I asked getting straight to the point.

I had not intentions nor any interest in talking to this man. He was the one who initiated the war against m̶y̶ k̶i̶n̶g̶d̶o̶m̶ . My father's kingdom. He killed one of my brothers. He bought me off my father. He is the root cause of my misery. Only him. The only intention of me to come to Kapila was to kill this man - Achyuta.

"Well, if you want to get straight to the business, I will also not hesitate to ask you what I want." He says with sudden seriousness covering his face.

"आप स्वयंवर में हमे अपनाए. हम आपसे विवाह की इच्छा रखते है." He says bluntly.

(Choose me in your swayamvar. I harbour the wish to marry you.)

Well, I was quite expecting it. In order to become a king, he needs to marry a princess before his crowning. That's what is the tradition followed in Kapila.

"I don't harbour any intentions of marrying a man I hardly know, prince. And I've requested the king to keep a special competition for all the participants in swayamvar. The one to win, will marry me." I say turning away my gaze from him.

"Very well, princess. If you want to play this other way around, I will also show you that only I, Achyuta possess the right to marry you. Nobody else." He says like he's challenging me.

"But I don't like you." I say standing firm on my ground.

"You will start liking me if you spend time with me. Afterall, nobody can resist my charms." He says with a hint of seduction in his voice.

I scoff at his words. Charms my foot. I won't even look at him.

"Well, it's not that you have someone on your mind. Do you?" He asks raising his eyebrows.

This is it. I sense the right timing. He's feeling self-aware and disappointed right now. This is the time I plant the seed of animosity and jealously in this palace. This was my chance. And I take this chance without a moment of hesitation.

"I like your brother, my friend, prince Abhaya. I've liked him since childhood. And I only wish to marry him." I say carefully, so that each and every word gets etched in his heart.

I see his eyes getting darkened. For the first time, I notice his features. His face was not as perfect as that of Aniruddha. But something about him was a thousand times more charming then Aniruddha. If not his bad attitude and temper, he would've been more charming.

"Leave my chamber, princess. Remember, you're not allowed to love anyone except me. For now, live happily with your silly little crush. Once you're mine, I will make sure you forget even his name." He says clenching his fist.