Chapter 6 Chemotherapy and going home

Hot shot, Hoist, Medix, Whirl and Wedge were soon going to start chemotherapy. They were all feeling kind of scared and nervous about it. They were wondering what it was going to be like to experience chemotherapy. So that made them a little nervous about it. They were wondering what to expect from it. 

They were together in the playroom at the moment and they were worried. They were wondering what to expect. But they were trying to play. It is sometimes hard to play when you are worried.

"I am little worried about starting chemotherapy," Hot shot said.

"I know it will make me feel sick but I don't know if it will hurt or not," Hoist said.

"I don't know what it will be like to go through all of that and losing more hair," Medix said.

"I am kind of worried about what may happen," Whirl admitted.

"I am worried what it will be like and if it will affect my brothers in any way," Wedge admitted. 

"Hello kids is something going on?" Penny the child life specialist asked. She was in the playroom at the moment with the kids. 

"We are a bit worried about starting chemotherapy," Hot shot said. Hoist, Medix, Whirl and Wedge agreed.

"I am scared it might hurt," Hoist said.

"I am wondering what it would be like going through chemotherapy," Medix admitted.

"I am worried what might happen," Whirl said.

"I am worried how my brothers might be affected by it if affects them too," Wedge said.

"I am just kind of worried about when I can go home," Hot shot said.

"Well kids chemotherapy is a very important medicine that can help fight off your cancer," Penny said. "It will help you get better," she said. "You all might feel sick, tired, weak, and may not want to eat as much, but don't worry that is all normal and how bad the side effects are can vary from day to day you have chemo and after a chemo treatment," she said. "It can be tough going through it but you need to be very brave, and you kids all very strong," she said. "It won't be easy going through chemotherapy at times and other times it will be easier. It is very hard at first but it tends to get easier with time," she assured them. "Plus chemotherapy killing the cancer cells doesn't hurt. Nor does getting it through a central line hurt. Nor does it hurt if it is give orally. Normally it only hurts for a second if given as a shot." she said. "You might go home sometime soon during treatment and there will be times when you have to stay in the hospital again during treatment. Other times you will have outpatient treatments and tests which is normal," she said. "If you have brothers and sisters they might feel worried about you, or scared, or sad, or angry about what you are going through," she said. "They might also feel lonely, left out, cross or even jealous of you, because sick children or children with a medical condition get a lot of attention from friends and family and they other children feel like they aren't as loved as much," she said. "But they need to be reassured by parents that they are loved too, and you need to let them know you love them too and that you appreciate their support when they give it." she said. "Whenever you can still be siblings who like to spend time together." she said.

"Okay," the kids said. They felt better after Penny answered their questions.

The kids even watched the video from the imaginary friend society about chemotherapy. It helped them learn and understand about the main ways chemotherapy is given. They learned about how it would make them feel sick and tired. They learned it would make the rest of their hair fall out if they had any remaining from radiation therapy. They learned it wouldn't be easy but things should be alright. 

The kids were soon in their rooms having blood taken to be tested before chemotherapy starts. The blood was taken from their central lines. They were glad because of the central lines that getting the blood drawn didn't hurt at all. That was a relief for them. 

Now they had to wait for a while for the chemotherapy to be ready. "Why do I have to wait for my chemotherapy?" the kids asked their nurses in their rooms.

"Because chemotherapy that is by IV has to be made to order, which means it must be made fresh," the nurses explained.

"How long does it take?" the kids asked.

"IV chemo can take 15 minutes to over day, it depends on which medicine is used and how much of a dose you are getting," the nurses explained to them.

"Okay," the kids said.

A bit later the nurses came into the kids rooms. They had the bags of chemotherapy medicine. The kids were a big nervous. They watched as the nurses washed their hands and set up the pumps with the medicine. Then they watched as the nurses washed their hands again and put on clean gloves. Then watched the nurses cleaned their central lines and then hook up the IV lines to their central lines. Then they watched as the nurses opened the clamps on the lines and then started the pumps. Now the medicine started to drip into the kids lines. "There now you can do what you want," the nurses told the kids.

The kids like that a lot. They decided to walk around the hospital together. Their parents came a long. They were having a lot of fun too. The kids went Chic-fil-a for lunch. Then they went to the gift shop and they each got to pick something there for themselves because they were being brave at the start of chemotherapy.

The kids were happy to spend time together. But they were hoping to go home soon. 

Once back in their rooms they were able to rest for a while. Then a bit later each of their pumps bleeped. That meant that chemo was done for the day. The kids had more chemo for the rest of the week. Then they got to rest for a couple of days in the hospital. 

Today Dr. Zhao told each of them: "You can go home for a while," 

They were very happy about this. They were happy about going home and being in their own rooms. Wedge was happy to be seeing his brothers again too. 

The kids packed their things and made sure they each had everything. They each got into their family's cars once they made sure they had everything. Then they got ready in their car seats. Then they headed home.

Hot shot, Hoist, Medix and Whirl each came into their homes and sat on their beds. They were so happy to be home. When Wedge came home he was greeted by his three big brothers.

"I have so happy to see you home," Heavyload said.

"I am so glad you are back," Gridlock said.

"It is great to have you home little bro," Hightower said.

"I am happy to be home and see you guys," Wedge said.

Wedge got settled in his room once again too. 

All five kids knew it was going to be sometime before they were well again. They also knew they were going to be in the hospital a few more times either inpatient or outpatient for a while. They knew they were going to be just fine with their families' support and the support of each other. They had a feeling things were going to be just fine as long as they stuck together.