28.

"What?! Klaus has Tyler too? Elena's gone?!" Damon stares solemnly. It scares me. Thankfully enough, he makes no comments or asks no questions about me and Elijah. And Elijah is perfectly stoic, as if nothing ever happened. I'm kind of jealous of his poker face. "I thought you said they got back?" Damon shakes his head. "Stefan called to say they were on the way back. Then, as soon as they got here, Klaus took Elena." He shakes his head mournfully. "I killed the witch. And the vampire."

Elijah shakes his head. "That won't do anything. Klaus always has a contingency plan. It's likely he'd already had a witch and a vampire ready to go." Damon curses. I tear outside and scream at the darkened sky. If only I'd known. It's done now. Elena is gone, and the ritual is happening soon. Taking a deep breath, I walk back into the Salvatore house, where everyone is already beginning to get ready.

I take nothing. I'm a magical vampire. I'm practically invincible.

~~~

It's time to go. The moon will be at its apex soon. Nervously, I pace and chew my nails. I don't know what to expect. But from what I gather, Klaus will kill either the vampire or Maisie first. Elena's supposed to be last. Elijah rubs my shoulder reassuringly. "The plan will work." A pause. "Mia." The surprise that shoots through at my shortened name is like a beacon of sun.

It distracts me completely from the situation. I turn and nod. "You're right." Elijah nods appreciatively. "Of course I am. I'm a thousand years old, you know." I smack his shoulder and roll my eyes. He lets out a laugh that is so...un-Elijah like. I suddenly have a thought. What will happen after all of this? Will we still be together? He must sense my distress.
"What's troubling you?"

"Nothing. Just worried about Maisie." If he doesn't believe me, he doesn't say so. "Let's go. Bonnie's in position." Damon calls. My heart begins to pound as I get lightheaded. "Everything will be okay. I'll see you after." Elijah promises, and kisses my forehead. Stefan watches the exchange in confusion, and waits until he walks away. Here we go.

"What was that about?" He asks. I steel myself. "Elijah and I...well, we're kind of, together?" I rush out. Stefan frowns deeply. Then sighs. "Well, I can't control your love life. But be careful. He's an Original. Even after Klaus is gone, he'll still have enemies." Speechless, I nod. "Cmon." He pats my back, then speeds away through the forest. I follow him quickly.

A scream echoes. I increase my pace and stop abruptly before I reach the clearing. I watch from behind a tree, and bite harshly into my lip when I see Maisie, just barely awake. Her, Elena, and some other woman sit in some kind of weird symbol, in salt. Wind whips through the trees. Klaus stands under the moon, with his eyes shut. A little ways back, I can see a witch. Luka's sister.

I feel a brief twinge of guilt for his untimely end. Then Klaus opens his eyes.

He saunters over to Elena. I panic immediately. What the hell is he doing?! I can't see him, but I hear Stefan's sharp intake of breath. This isn't right. This isn't the plan. Then the woman wakes up. I clap a hand over my mouth. It's Jenna. Elena sees her at the same time and begins to scream. Klaus quickly grabs her. "No! No, Jenna!" She screams.

Jenna is disoriented, but no idiot. I can feel the dear ripping off of her in waves. "Elena?" Her voice wavers. "Oh, fret not aunt Jenna." Klaus tuts. That bastard. Elena is scarily calm in seconds, as Klaus leads her directly underneath the moon. I flinch and watch in horror as he sinks his fangs in her neck and begins to drain her. Jenna whimpers and cries out for Elena. She doesn't know Elena will come back.

I flex my fingers, unsure how to proceed. But then something else happens. Stefan walks into the clearing, hands up. "Please." He begs. "Take me instead." But Klaus shakes his head. "Sorry, Stefan. I want this one. Leave. But you can come out, Amelia." I freeze. Of course he knew I was here, hidden. Stefan pales, but of course leaves. I bite my lip and steadily walk from my place in the woods. Maisie's eyes widen.

"No Mia! You need to leave." But I don't. I'm frozen in place as it unfolds. Klaus swiftly grabs her, and turns her neck quicker than I can see. A sickening crack echoes, and she falls, with her head at a strange angle.

A weird, loud groan sounds. I realize the sound is me. Screaming. In fury. "No!" I screech, and run for Klaus. All other thoughts abandon me, and the only thing I can think is kill, kill, kill. Klaus eyes glow werewolf yellow, and he whips around faster than I can anticipate. He pushes out, his hand going into my chest. The pain brings me to my feet and I suddenly realize how bad of an idea this is.

I make a choking, strangled sound, as his hand wraps around my beating heart. It hurts. So, so bad. But it's not over. My hand wraps around his arm. His face is lit up with some kind of twisted glee. But not for long. I siphon from him, and he gasps at the pain. He tries to remove his hand, but the wound is closing around it. For the first time, I see real, genuine fear flash in his eyes.

But I'm fading, quickly. "See you in hell, asshole." I mutter before yelling out. "Now, Bonnie!" Klaus finally jerks his hand free, blood splattering. I fall to the ground. The wind begins blowing hard, and it all blurs. I hear the sickening sounds of his own bones breaking as his transformation begins. Good, I think.
Bonnie's incantations become louder and the wind intensity increases. Klaus begins screaming.

I don't how she got past Luka's sister. I don't know if Jenna is okay. I don't know where Elijah is. I don't know if I'm in heaven or hell.

It's time to sleep.

~~~