23.

Music pours out of the gym, the kind you'd hear in an old movie. The kids on the floor are laughing and swinging back and forth. Elena waves at me. I squeal at her and Bonnie's outfits. Despite being in 60's style, they're both very hot. Elena's dress is purple with an eccentric design and slight v-neck. She's rocking a high ponytail and large peace-sign earrings.

Bonnie's dress is a wacky orange and purple design, but works nonetheless. While Elena's dress is more loose-fitting, stopping above her knees, Bonnie's dress is much more fitted from the waist up. Her cleavage is out slightly more than Elena's. Both sport the same billowy long sleeves, and matching white leather knee boots. Elena and Bonnie quickly hug me. "You look great!" Bonnie calls over the music. I giggle. Earning a compliment from someone as beautiful as Bonnie Bennet is an accomplishment in my book.

"Hello ladies. Looking sharp Sparky." Damon comes out of nowhere and winks. Bonnie rolls her eyes and immediately walks off. Elena just rolls her eyes and pulls me away. I shrug at Damon. "What is he even doing here?" I shout. "He's a chaperone! Stefan's here too!" Well duh. Stefan is a student here. And Damon's barely an adult.

Elena pulls us to a table overflowing with food and drinks. I make a grab for the punch, but Elena grabs my hand right before I touch the ladle. "It's probably spiked." She warns. I shrug her off. "Big deal. I'm a vampire now, remember?" I say a little too loud, and immediately worriedly glance around to see if anyone overheard me. If anyone does, they don't show it nor do they ask. "Fair enough. But I'd watch Maisie if I were you. Hey, where is she?"

Frowning, I swivel around. Maisie is nowhere to be seen. Panic rises up in me as I try to use my super senses to locate her. But it quickly overwhelms me, the sounds. My breathing picks up unsteadily. "Hey, are you okay?" Elena asks with concern. "Loud." I gasp. "This was a bad idea." The room is closing in now, and I'm swaying unnaturally. Can vampires pass out?

"Hey." Elena puts a hand on my arm. "Come on." She yanks on my hand without giving me much room for protest. I let her drag me out of the crowded room and into the dim hallway. "What's wrong?" She asks, as soon as my breathing slows and I'm standing steadily on my own. "I tried to find her with my hearing. But I'm unpracticed in how to use my abilities. It was just too much, that's all." I'm embarrassed now. She must think I'm a big baby, freaking out over some noises.

"I'm sure she's fine. She's probably with Jeremy." She supplies reassuringly. But I realize she's right. I can't keep looking after Maisie forever. She's growing older, finding herself. And so am I. She's not a baby anymore. She's no longer the toddler waddling around the house, and screaming with laughter when Daddy found her and tickled her until tears ran down her cheeks.

She's no longer the moody pre-teen, complaining over lip gloss, and clothes. And she's certainly not the irresponsible little girl I've treated her like. I straighten up off the wall I was leaning on, making a decision. "No." Elena's brows furrow. "What?" I shake my head. "She's old enough to have fun responsibly. And I'm sure Jeremy is too. It's a school dance, for goodness sakes. Nothing bad is gonna happen."

~~~

We cheer loudly as the song changes to an upbeat one. Damon dances at the center of the crowd, the main character as usual. I roll my eyes and turn around. Bonnie, Elena, Caroline, and I all jump up and down to the beat of the music, and somehow the other three manage to make it look elegant and graceful. I must look like a duck on fire, flailing all about.

As quickly as it started, the song changes to a slow one. Awkwardly, I step aside as everyone pairs up. Stefan and Elena. Caroline and Matt. Maisie and Jeremy. I chug some more punch from the bowl, hoping it really is spiked. Strangely enough, I find my mind wandering to Elijah. Is he dreaming right now? What must it be like, to sleep against your will? Is he suffering? Ah. Probably better not to go down that route. But I still find myself thinking about him.

The music slowly fades out as Dana takes the stage. "Thanks for coming everybody!" Cheers go up. I clap politely as well, careful not to spill my drink. "We have a special shout-out tonight", she continues. "This is for Elena." I search for her face in the crowd, but she seems just as confused as I am. Stefan has a look resembling a creeping suspicion.

"From Klaus."

I freeze and drop my cup. The crowd resumes clapping and cheering, but I stay glued in place, eyes swiveling wildly. Is he here? Right now? Elena, Stefan, Bonnie, and Jeremy all stay frozen in place as well. Maisie chats obliviously while her date focuses on something else. Damon cuts through the four and thanks to my new hearing, I catch every word. "Oh, come on. It's a lame, cheap shot. He's just trying to bait us."

"I know everyone here." Elena fires back. "Maybe he's not here." Jeremy pipes in, and protests as Bonnie drags him back to Maisie who's glad to accept his reappearance with no question. The two intertwine hands. I finally unstick from my spot, and cut through the crowd. Somehow, in the short space between us, Stefan has managed to calm Elena.

"Mia." Stefan nods. "What was that?" I question. "Nothing. He's just trying to get to us. Guufigibiv." Did I hear that right?? I stare at him strangely, and realize everything around me is starting to take on a dream-like quality. Tilting my head, I start to wobble on my feet. My vision begins to pucker around the edges and my thoughts slow down a dangerous amount. What......is happening....?

"Stefan!" Elena yelps as I slump forward and promptly lose consciousness.

~~~