017.

I don't stick around for the dinner party. I'm feeling far too sick to my stomach about the condemned woman in the cave. Katherine. Supposedly evil. But I know nothing about her.

No one is home, as usual. Screw dad tearing into Maisie, I'll do it myself. Sighing, I take my ponytail down and roll my hair bow down my wrist. I stare at my reflection. My eyes are stricken, my eye-bags the most prominent. I flick the bathroom light off and practically collapse into my bed. My sleep is filled with terrors. Demons shrieking in the night.

Maisie, choking, bleeding to death, trapped in a coffin. I gasp awake. I turn on my side and almost jump out of my skin. Elijah stands above me. Instead, I gasp loudly again and jerk back. "What are you going in my room?" I whisper-shout. My dad is at least likely to be home. "Again." I add. Elijah frowns and sits at the edge of my bed.

Suspicious, I sit up, pulling the covers to my chest. "I'm going to presume you had nothing to do with tonight's events, Mia?" The way he says my name, like it's a delicate flower, sends warmth through me. "What happened?" He sighs. "Your friend, Alaric, thought it would be a good idea to put a dagger into my chest." My eyes pop open. "Mr. Saltzman?!" I'm speechless.

Aren't the Originals like some kind of vampire royalty? How the hell did he get it into his head that he could kill an Original? Or any vampire for that matter? "However, I know it was the work of Damon. Safe to say, I cut ties loose." I don't want to know what that means. "You know, it's funny. I can't figure out why I keep coming to you." My heart stops.

"I remember when we first met. You were just a scared little witch, who had no idea what she was. Or what I was. But you were talented, and smart. So smart, right from the beginning." I'm not breathing, and ohmigosh I'm on fire. Slowly, I lie back down onto my pillow. The space beside me dips down as Elijah lies down next to me. My heart kick-starts. "You're so alive. So vibrant. You burn, like a thousand stars."

Everything he says is poetry. A song, that my heart owns the lyrics to. I swallow and face toward him, rolling on my side. "Why did you come here?" I whisper, feeling the need to, suddenly. He turns his head toward me. "I don't know." He says, and I notice how close our lips are. My hand winds down, uncertainly. I hesitate for a second, hovering over his. For a second, I think I'm being ridiculous and start to pull back.

But then, his hand grabs mine and pulls it back firmly. We stay like that, fitted together not quite, but it feels like it. Soon, my eyes are closing, growing heavier and heavier. The night retires as I fall from consciousness. The next time, my dreams are filled with warmth, and suns, and secret kisses.

~~~

A/N: short chapter, I know

A/N: short chapter, I know. Probably could've added it on the last one lmao. But I felt it deserved its own spotlight.