Two

Adjusting my bags, I press my finger against the doorbell and wait until a voice answers me.

"Hey, Milo. I'll be there shortly."

I nod at the camera and step back away from the door, readying myself for a quick escape. I won't stay around for the questioning glances or the stuttered concerns.

When the click of the lock signals the opening of the door, I lift my features, hiding beneath impenetrable mask.

"Katy's just putting her shoes on."

"Thanks." I flash a wide grin and fidget with my hat, readjusting the way it holds my fringe. I stare at the concrete slabs that line the driveway as I wait for my sister to gather her belongings, which, I expect, are currently scattered over her best friend's house. She runs out a moment later, her shirt hanging out the side of the dress she chose to wear today. One sock pulled up around her calf, the other disappearing into her shoe.

She throws out a string of words I have to squint to be able to understand. I think she's telling me what she had for dinner at school today.

"Tell me on the way home, squid." I run my eyes over her, quickly checking she's got all her items before lifting my gaze. "Thanks for picking her up."

"Any time, Milo."

With another nod, I turn and hurry Katy down the drive before anything else is said.

"Does this count as on the way home?" Katy asks as soon as we hit the pavement.

"Yeah," I say through a small laugh.

Katy skips beside me the whole way home as she tells me all about her day at school with little input from me. I gasp and ooh in all the right places, but keeping up my false pretences becomes more difficult the closer we get to home.

My body eases the vice it locked itself in when an empty drive suggests my dad isn't home. I rummage in the small pocket of my rucksack for my key as Katy inspects the dying flowers lining our drive. I take a deep breath before placing my hand on the door handle of my parents' house. It no longer feels like my home.

I flex my hands before striding into the house and press the door closed after Katy skips inside. I stare into the quiet space. Long gone are the days when this house was full of love and life. When I used to look forward to coming home every day,

Now it feels empty.

I drop my bags to the floor and step into the doorway of the living room. I hover as Katy settles, unsure what to do with myself before leaving to get us both a drink from the kitchen. I have little over an hour before I need to leave for swimming, and I stare at Katy, wondering if she's going to have to come with me tonight.

I kick off my trainers, leaving them wherever they lie, and head upstairs. The door to my parents' room is open an inch, and a warm glow within the darkness suggests Mum is awake.

I knock on the wood and push the door open, peering my head into the room.

"Mum?" I ask the air softly.

"Hey, baby."

I accept that as a welcome and step into the room. She rolls over and pushes herself into a seated position, pulling the duvet up with her.

"You got time for me today?" She pats the bed beside her. I follow her invitation but choose to sit by her feet.

"You want a cuppa tea or anything to eat?" I study what I can see of her in the dimness. The weak lighting makes her look worse, and I stare at the headboard above her shoulder, unable to see my mum with accentuated hollowed cheeks and sunken eyes. "And do you want me to bring Katy up?"