Fifty Nine

Nia

"How's your day been?" I flop on my bed and stare at the ceiling. This is the first day of the summer holidays I haven't spent with either Lauren or Milo. I've cleaned the entire house and now I don't know what to do with myself.

It's Friday. But it's still hours until Lauren finishes work for our Friday night dance-off with Dad and Simon.

"Had swimming all morning. Just hanging out with Katy until I've got work later." Milo sounds distracted, his voice strained as if he's concentrating on too many things at once. I know he's looking after Katy tonight and how occupying she can be. Part of me wishes I'd made plans with them today, just so I got to see Milo. "Have fun dancing tonight. I hope you win."

"I always win." I play with the purple strands of my hair as Milo speaks, running my fingers through it, wishing it was Milo doing it, the way he always likes to. "Is it weird that I miss you? I only saw you yesterday."

I don't hear Milo's reply because the door flings open and I cling to the towel wrapped around my body from my shower. My phone flies out of my hand and lies discarded on my pillow beside my head.

Lauren marches in with a shimmery, purple length of fabric draped over her arm.

"Lauren?" I sit up and reach for my phone but don't return it to my ear. "You could at least knock. I'm only in a towel."

"You are?" Milo's voice has turned low and raspy over the phone and I never knew my body could react to just a voice.

I put the phone back to my ear, ignoring Lauren as she moves around my room. "Uh-huh."

"Shiiiit, Nia."

My stomach tightens at his tone and I'm about to ask him to ditch work when Lauren yanks the phone out of my hand almost burning my cheek with the friction.

"Bye, Milo." Lauren rolls her eyes at me when I rub my cheek.

Milo mumbles something over the phone. I can't hear his words clearly enough, but a small smile tugs at Lauren's lips.

"No, you can't."

Milo says something else. He sounds kind of whiny, but I still can't figure out what he's after.

"I said no, Milo." She hangs up and flings my phone onto the bed.

"What was that about?" I stare at the phone, wishing I'd had a chance to say bye properly. Time's running out and I can't take the chance of missing out on these small things.

"Ah, nothing." Lauren waves a hand out in front of her, dismissing whatever Milo's request was. "Just getting excited about you in a towel. You know how boys are." She pulls out her phone and taps a few times before she connects to my speaker. An acoustic cover of one of my favourite songs fills the room.

She drops her phone beside mine and thrusts the purple fabric in my direction. "Put this on."

I stare at her hand but make no attempt to take it from her. "What is it?"

"A dress, you idiot."

I lift my gaze to Lauren's expecting this to be a joke, but no, she's serious. "Why?"

Lauren throws her hands down and returns the dress to the chair. "Because it was your birthday yesterday and you spent it with Milo."

"Because he couldn't get off work today." I sink back against my pillow again. I know what I promised. I know I'm going to have to get used to not having Milo in my life, but every time I get a reminder, my heart sinks to the pit of my stomach. I'm losing Lauren at the same time too and I'm trying not to think what my life will become after the next few weeks.