Chapter 29 : Preparations

The next few days were hectic. The orc threat was not yet over, and in addition to repairing the damage caused by the attack, preparations had to be made for the sylvan prince's wedding.

Thranduil had been formal. As the two future spouses had not been separated during their engagement, he imposed that the two fiancés should not mix during the two weeks preceding the wedding.

Legolas and Elenwë agreed, somewhat reluctantly.

Legolas spent his free time training and preparing for the ceremony.

Elenwë, for her part, was growing more and more anxious as the fateful date drew closer.

That morning, when she woke up, she felt her stomach catch in her heels. Yet there was nothing exceptional planned for that day, apart from the fitting of her future wedding dress.

With a sigh, she pushed the tray of food on the table away from her and dressed in a simple dress.

The soft sound of her footsteps on the flagstones of the corridor echoed in her ears. Arriving at the door, she entered, a slight apprehension in her.

- Here you are at last, Wen Elenwë! exclaimed a warm voice from inside the room.

Elenwë smiled furtively at Salyon, the kingdom's chief dressmaker.

- Hello Salyon," said Tilion's daughter politely. Hello Anélis, Cina and Lycïs.

The three elves standing next to the dressmaker were his assistants, each excelling in a particular field.

The three elves bowed slightly in greeting to their prince's bride-to-be.

- Wen amin, would you like to try on this first dress? Salyon asked, gathering her raven-black hair behind her back.

Elenwë sighed inwardly and took the dress before ducking behind the screen.

When she had put the dress on, she couldn't contain a slight grunt of discontent.

- Come out so we can see! asked Anélis, a beautiful elf with violet eyes and wheat-blonde hair.

Reluctantly, she stepped out from behind the screen.

On seeing her, the four elves fell silent.

- You... You're beautiful... Lycïs murmured.

Facing her, Elenwë saw her reflection in the mirror.

The gown's bustier, lined with fine lace with silver threads forming floral arabesques, extended over Elleth's shoulders to her elbows. From there on, each sleeve was formed by a wide flounce of vaporous fabric edged at the end with silver piping. The skirt was full, light and decorated with the same motifs as the bust.

Elenwë had grumbled because she found the bust uncomfortable, but when she saw the result in the mirror, she could only say:

- The dress... is superb.

Salyon and his assistants, after a moment's stunned silence, adjusted the outfit. They were proud of their work and could... Elenwë thought. She found this outfit sumptuous, even more beautiful than the one Arwen wore for her wedding. And yet the latter was queenly.

As much as the bride loved her dress, standing for two hours waiting for the adjustments to be completed seemed like a long time.

- It's finally done! Cina said with a smile. You've been set free.

Elenwë smiled suddenly and, as soon as her dress was off, rushed to her room to put on her training outfit.

She sighed at ease as she pulled on her pants and loose shirt. A slim-fitting jacket with long sides and a front slit completed her outfit.

She briskly grabbed her hair and braided it. She placed her belt on her waist and attached Ant Estel to it.

Tilion's daughter walked briskly out of the castle towards the northern edge of the forest.

The sun was shining happily through the bright green branches. She breathed in the fresh air from the shady foliage.

- Halt! a voice suddenly interrupted.

Elenwë froze, reaching for the hilt of her sword.

- Who goes there? the voice asked.

The half-Maia recognized the voice as that of an elf and answered:

- Elenwë Elrondiel.

An elven woman with fiery hair and deep blue eyes appeared.

- You're our prince's fiancée?

- Yes," Elenwë said softly, blushing.

The elleth smiled and greeted Elenwë.

- I'm pleased to meet you, Wen Amin. I'm Arryn, lieutenant of the kingdom guard.

Elenwë bowed slightly.

- It's a pleasure to meet you, Lieutenant. May I assist you in the performance of your duties?

The lieutenant tucked one of her fiery locks back behind her ear.

- Don't you think?!

- ...

- I mean... I mean, you're a lady, a future princess... You're not going to...

- I'm begging you. Elenwë implored. I haven't done anything exciting for days... I'm bored with trying on dresses...

- But... My Lady... Please understand that I can't...

- I'll be careful. All will be well!

Arryn stared into Elenwë's imploring eyes. She moistened her lips.

- Well... Very well," she said, touched by his childish expression, "I only hope Salyon won't be angry with me...

- Salyon? she asked. Why should he?

Arryn laughed softly.

- He's my husband, and he wouldn't be happy if you hurt yourself. Not to mention the prince or the king.

The redheaded elleth felt a drop of sweat trickle down from her temple to her neck.

- I mean... I have no interest in exposing you to any danger...

Elenwë was about to protest, but the lieutenant cut her off, addressing her with her arms folded across her chest.

- Therefore, you will stay with me. And you're not leaving me under any circumstances!

Elenwë accepted with a smile.

 As the afternoon wore on, a friendship began to form between the two elves. They got on well, very well indeed.

Arryn was a warrior at heart, unlike her husband who was an undisputed artist. She told Elenwë how the forest had evolved since the end of the War of the Ring, and how her intervention at Dol Guldur had pacified the region.

- But," asked the elleth, "how do you know?

Indeed, Elenwë didn't know that Thranduil had made public the fact that she had largely contributed to the deliverance of their territory during the battle of Dol Guldur.

- Aran Thranduil told us, and I want you to know, Elenwë, that the whole kingdom is grateful to you.

They talked about everything and anything, patrolling along the border. A few rebellious strands of hair escaped from Arryn's headdress and fluttered in the wind. The sun was about to set and the shade under the trees was becoming cooler than ever.

Suddenly, Elenwë had a bad feeling. Quickly, as a faint "schlaaack" whistled in her ears, she drew Ant Estel and swept her blade through the air.

An arrow fell at Arryn's feet, split in two.