Chapter 26 : Family, a precious asset

Thranduil, king of Eryn Lasgalen, paused. Legolas, his beloved son, had befriended a dwarf? Already, this first announcement seemed insurmountable. What was he? Engaged? What kind of story was that?

He stood there, frozen, a slightly cold and closed look on his face. The growing silence made Elenwë, Gimli, Legolas, and even the guards around the room uneasy.

The king opened his lips, pinching the bridge of his nose.

- Legolas," sighed the king, "it is not enough that you befriend a dwarf, a creature I find hard to respect, but you bring back to the palace a sheth you say is your fiancée?

Gimli looked a little stern and Elenwë tightened her lips. The silence was broken, but it would have been better if he had continued for a while longer. The silent tension rose in the throne room.

The prince looked at his father and a very slightly annoyed look passed over his face.

Legolas looked at his father and said:

- Ada, please. I'm not going to put up with you picking on them! They are two incredible people, with hearts of gold, and to whom I owe my life more than once, and I truly appreciate them for what they are. With all due respect, if you can't stand their presence and be a little bit kind, I'll leave, although it would be sad to argue with you even though we just met again.

The prince was tense, his jaw clenched, expecting an angry outburst from his father.

The king bit the inside of his cheek to keep himself from saying something he would regret. A few months ago, Althea, his newly found daughter, had married Lindir and they had both gone to Valinor, leaving him alone, father regretting the loss of his newly found daughter. It is true that since then, he felt terribly lonely, in his underground palace. Fortunately, to keep him busy, he had to supervise some installation work outside the caves. But for the time being, he didn't really want to sow discord between his son and himself.

And he would certainly not admit it, but he adored his son. When Evranï had left them, he had clung to the only thing that was his reason to live. His son. Their son, the child that was theirs. He had always been very proud of him, of what he had become, and he found it hard to admit that he had to let him live his life. When he had left, almost a century before, after the Battle of the Five Armies in front of Erebor, he had felt his father's heart break for the first time. And now he was coming to introduce his father to the one to whom his heart would belong for eternity. In fact, he was jealous. He smiled. He, Thranduil, King Sinda, jealous?

- Legolas... forgive me. I had no business saying that. I apologize to your friends as well.

So that was the best part for Legolas, who blinked several times in disbelief. In about ten minutes, he had been given a hug and an apology. What?! His father was apologizing to him? "Who are you and what did you do with my father?" He wanted to ask but this was not the time for humor.

Elenwë and Gimli relaxed imperceptibly and the sheth even smiled.

- What did you say? What did you say? Legolas said, forbidden.

Thranduil glared at his son, who sighed inwardly. Don't worry, it was his father in front of him at that very moment.

- Don't ask me to repeat what I just said, I'm sure you heard perfectly.

Legolas suddenly had an irrepressible urge to laugh, even though this was not the time or place.

Thranduil turned to Gimli, whose features he vaguely recognized.

- Welcome to my kingdom, Gimli, son of Glóin. I have not always been on good terms with your people, surely out of mutual wrongs. However, I hope that your stay here will allow me to change my view of your people for good.

Legolas could not believe his ears and even pinched his arm to make sure he was not hallucinating. The father did not notice his son's astonishment and continued:

- May you enjoy your visit and admire the splendors of my kingdom.

Then he walked towards Elenwë who suddenly felt a little nervous.

- Welcome among us Elenwë, daughter of Elrond.

He gently took her hand and placed a light kiss on her back, making Elenwë turn pink, before continuing.

Legolas could not bear to be happy, but when he heard the rest, he winced.

- I am grateful to you for supporting my son.

A smile stretched the king's lips as Legolas, stung, said:

- What?!

By the Valar! Thranduil, his father had just made a joke, as the smile on the sovereign's face attested. He felt as if he were on another galaxy.

- In truth," Elenwë announced with a cheerful smile, "I think it is rather he who must support me than the other way around.

The Sinda elf fixed her gaze on the one who would certainly soon become her daughter-in-law. She was smiling and her expressive grey eyes reminded him of the whiteness of her hair. He found her at first sight reserved and polite, but he sensed in her an important strength and a strong character.

He smiled. No wonder Legolas liked her. No doubt he could stand her stealing his son.

He smiled, hiding behind a lock of his hair and said to all three of them:

- What do you say we have a bite to eat before we go and rest?

The proposal was accepted and a few minutes later, they went to the dining room of the palace. There, once at the table, Thranduil demanded that they recount in detail the quest for the ring. On his side, the king told his son about the changes in the kingdom and especially that Althea, whom he had known before leaving, as Lyana, a lost elf, was in fact his sister.

- She married Lindir a few years ago and joined Valinor.

Elenwë's eyes widened.

- Althea was your daughter?

Elenwë, at this time in her life, was wandering with her brothers, roaming the lands of Arda quite a bit. She understood then.

- Ah.. I thought Lindir looked different.

Thranduil smiled.

- You liked Lindir?

Elenwë smiled.

- Yes! He was like a... godfather to me?

The conversation was going well and Thranduil started a debate with his son and Gimli about the most beautiful kind of architecture in Middle-earth. Elenwë, happy but exhausted, felt herself slipping into sleep. As her head wobbled dangerously, she nearly ended up face down in her plate, but Legolas caught her asleep.

Thranduil smiled just a little mockingly and Legolas glared at him. The king swallowed his sneer and continued to talk with Gimli for a while as Legolas picked up Elenwë and carried her to her room. He laid her down in one of the suites reserved for the guests of the kingdom and laid her in bed, but as he wanted to leave to join his father and his friend, he realized that he could not undo Elenwë's hand that held his tunic.

He had a smile and whispered:

- Well... I will have to stay then...

He lay down beside her, taking her in his arms and fell asleep quickly.