Chapter 14 : The Black Gate

The armed force moved swiftly along the lands of Gondor.

These fertile lands had, in some cases, suffered the destruction of war.

On the evening of their departure, they stopped near a ruined village.

The men set up the tents and others prepared the evening meal, while the others took turns guarding.

Elenwë, thoughtful, got off Ebony's back and decided to go for a walk.

-Elenwë? called a voice and the elleth turned, recognising Elladan's voice. Where are you going?

-I am going for a walk, Elladan.

-Do you want me to come with you?

-No... I don't particularly want to... I need a moment alone.

She looked at her brother, an apologetic look on her face, but Elladan was not offended, far from it.

-Go... but be careful.

-Yes, I promise. Elenwë replied, tucking one of her white locks behind her ear.

Elladan walked away and Elenwë walked towards the village.

The young elf walked for a long time in the streets destroyed by fire and washed by rainwater. On the horizon, the sun was setting and casting its last rays on the sinister ruins.

All became lit with gold and purple, and Elenwë thought that perhaps all hope was not lost. Life would spring from the ruins and the villages would be rebuilt. She wanted to believe that.

To the east, the sky was dark, darker than black ink. Elenwë grabbed her bow from across her back and ran her fingers over the feathers of the arrow she had just nocked.

Letting out an exhale, she concentrated and released the string, the arrow going to plant itself with precision in the wood of a door almost seventy meters away.

She practised a little until it was completely dark. Then she retraced her steps and went back to the camp.

-Elenwë!

Aragorn ran to her.

-Where have you been? We were beginning to worry. The meal has been ready for more than an hour and a half... we have been waiting for you.

Elenwë smiled at Aragorn and replied:

-You should not have waited for me. I will come with you... I must confess I am hungry.

The old Ranger frowned and sighed:

-Well... let's go.

When they entered the dining tent, a chorus of exclamations of relief greeted him.

-Well... my friends... I was told that you were waiting for me! Please forgive my delay.

The Hobbits smiled at him with a wink, Gandalf gave a slight chuckle, Gimli laughed softly, Legolas looked questioningly at Elenwë.

She reassured them that she had only been in the ruins.

The conversation was not a happy one, and it was with a heavy heart that everyone went to bed that night.

The next day, at dawn, the troops were ready to leave.

Aragorn, still in the lead, nodded to his companions.

-Army of Gondor! Onward! he said loudly and the army set off.

It was a bleak day, darkened by the desolate landscape that lay before them.

Whole towns and villages were wiped off the map.

Even Gimli and the hobbits, usually so quick to laugh, had little desire to try to joke.

At last their surroundings changed, growing darker and darker. They were approaching the Black Gate.

A dry desert of rocks and sand had replaced the green and fertile plains.

But the army was advancing, inexorably towards the grim road to Mordor.

The sun must have been at its zenith, and suddenly the army stopped. There they were. The Black Gate.

The sun glinted off their weapons, and the armour shone in the sun.

-At last..." whispered Elenwë. We are there.

The heavy doors of the Evil Gate suddenly opened, letting through a particularly repulsive creature, carried by a sickly-looking horse.

-Welcome to you, strangers. he said, a mocking smile on his lips. Are you ready to die?

Aragorn, Gandalf the hobbits, Gimli and Legolas and finally Elenwë approached this being to obtain more information.