Chapter 21 : Resting and waking up Sam

When Elenwë awoke, the sun was high in the sky. She put her hand to her ribs, feeling a bandage under her fingers that she did not remember putting on.

She realized that she was in the healing centre of the white city. Straightening up, the half elf felt no pain in her body, only a slight residue of fatigue.

Without further hesitation, she removed her bandage, noting with joy that only slight scars remained on her ribs and stomach. She smiled. Her status as both Elf and Maiar gave her a quick and effective recovery, provided she rested.

Elenwë set foot on the ground and made her way to her chambers, passing only servants. Once in her bathroom, she slipped into the tub, taking the longest bath of her life.

When the water was completely frozen, she resigned herself to getting dressed. She hesitated for a long moment before settling on a blue dress with full sleeves and brown silk trim. Two silver laces encircled the laces that stopped a little above the elf's waist. A large hood edged with the same silk as the sleeves.

Elenwë was sure of her choice. After putting it on, she ran her hands over the soft, silky fabric and sighed. How long had it been since she had worn such luxurious clothes?

She sat down in front of the dressing table and decided to make a real effort to present herself for once. She patiently braided her hair into four braids, two on the right and two on the left. Gathering them behind her head, she slipped a silver and gold metal ring to hold them.

She looked in her travel bag for a tiara, yet another surprise gift from her adoptive father. The silver branches of the tiara were in beautiful arabesques that formed leaves at the ends, while a blue moonstone sat on an oval medallion that rested on the sheath's forehead.

Elenwë stopped in front of the full-length mirror that stood in the corner of the room

Elenwë stopped in front of the full-length mirror that stood in the corner of the room. She had a hard time recognizing herself. Where was the fierce warrior who frightened the enemy? She felt both naked without her armour and beautiful because of the quality of her outfit.

Before she could change her mind, she grabbed two finely carved elven daggers and slipped them into two leather sheaths that she had strapped to her calves. She felt more secure armed.

- Let's go face the criticism of my companions! she said cheerfully to motivate herself before leaving the room.

As she closed the door, she felt a hand on her shoulder and in one swift movement grabbed one of her daggers before turning and facing her fiancé.

She held the weapon pointed at the neck of the smiling Sindar elf.

A slight laugh escaped the lips of the woodland prince who then said:

- I am glad to see that you are still on your guard. Could you put that blade away?

Elenwë decided to tease him a little and replied:

- But who's to say he's really my fiancé and not someone else?

A mischievous smile came to her lips as her eyes began to shine brighter.

Legolas smiled frankly and pulled himself away from the blade, grabbing Elenwë's wrist and lowering it before murmuring:

- It is me, though.

He moved closer to the elleth who was trapped between the door and him. She looked up into his face and the elf continued:

- You look absolutely beautiful!

Elenwë couldn't help but blush violently and looked away, answering:

- It is easy to say when you have not seen yourself in a mirror.

- And yet... I assure you that you are the most beautiful in my eyes.

Elenwë was almost choked by the compliments and looked down at her feet, murmuring:

- Stop complimenting me, it embarrasses me.

Legolas smiled wider and stared at her face as he raised it. He closed the gap between them and placed his lips tenderly on hers.

She gasped but relaxed as she felt the elf's hands around her waist. Elenwë put her arm around Legolas' neck and responded to the kiss.

They had forgotten where they were, relaxed and just endlessly happy, enjoying the moment, feeling butterflies fluttering in their stomachs.

A clearing of the throat behind Legolas called them to order. They parted abruptly and Elenwë banged her head on the door. Blushing, they turned to the stranger, who was none other than Gimli, who was trying to look away.

Gimli was as embarrassed as they were and after a moment of awkward silence, all three of them soon burst into uncontrollable laughter.

- Sam is awake," Gimli announced after calming down.

- Is he? the engaged couple exclaimed enthusiastically.

- Frodo is out of danger, but he's not awake yet. continued the dwarf.

- Let's go and see him! said Elenwë as she headed for the healing house.

The two friends followed her and Gimli elbowed Legolas to get past him, causing the elf to retaliate by pulling him back by the beard. It was while arguing that they saw the two Hobbits, Merry and Pippin, pass them all while pulling the dagger.

Gandalf sprang out of Sam's room, shouting:

- What's all this mess? You're in a nursing home here! You need silence!

The companions fell silent, suppressing a smile as they saw the old wizard squinting with delight.

- Sam! they cried.

A general hug followed and a few tears of joy and relief rolled down their faces as the blond Hobbit told them of their adventure in Mordor.