Chapter 4

"What is it, James?" A woman barged into the room with a toddler in her hand, only to shut her mouth seeing her husband still busy on the phone behind his office desk. Driven by the guilt and forgetting her annoyance of being disturbed to wake up from her nap, which was a rare opportunity for her as mother of a toddler, she slowly walked inside and sat down in the sofa in the middle of the room, waiting patiently for his husband to finish the call with an apologetic look.

"How come your senses are malfunctioning like that after birth?" The man questioned putting down his phone. Not even a second pass before a cushion came flying towards his face, which he casually avoided.

"Giving birth to this brat took a tool on me my body. Icing on cake, it's even harder to handle this energy ball than keeping him my belly. Be thankful you buffoon!" The woman snapped, offended by the man's remark about her senses which are still working perfectly fine. It's just her attention is always stolen by the junior for her to pay any attention to her surroundings. Supernatural abilities or not, a mother is a mother that pays her full attention to the baby turning blind eye to even her own needs. Let alone what's going inside her husband's office.

"I am! I am!" The man walked towards her before gently kissing her head. Even as an alpha he knew when to step back and when to take control. Perks of having a love greater than his instincts.

"Anyway, why did you wake both of us from the sweet nap we were enjoying?" The woman questioned handing the toddler to his dad who warmly welcomed the excitement of the child as a reaction to him.

"It's good news from the Palace. The Queen is pregnant!" The man announced with a wide smile, struggling not to jump around in happiness that is not very fitting to his image.

"That's great!" The reaction of his wife was same as he expected. The joy on her face made it flush in pink. The exhaustion long forgotten as she stood up to hug the two important males in her life. "Did you hear that, Nick?" She asked teasing the toddler on her husband's hand that was completely clueless. Nonetheless the child offered a wide grin seeing the happiness in both his parent's faces. The joy was equally shared among three as they huddled together to feel the warmth filling their hearts.

"You will have to grow into a strong wolf if you want to snatch the girl from others!" His father encouraged the little one, who was attentively listening even if his small mind couldn't fathom what big advices they were talking about.

"My poor boy! He will have lot of rivals." The woman mumbled sympathetically, caressing the child's head. "But hey, you should never back down and fight for her!" She was quick to encourage him in return as if they would be understood and the boy would be discouraged by their speech.

A man sat alone in the darkness as old memories flashed by his mind. Memories that should be happy yet clenched his heart every time he was reminded of them. Memories that reminded him where it all went wrong. Memories that turned his son into the cold hearted one he is today. Hearing the sound of howling in the distance attracted him to the nearby window of his office. Sensing the energy from the moon, the gentle beckoning of nature he walked towards the big glass window that is facing the backyard of their pack house. Standing behind it and looking down at the open field below he witnessed youths were shifting into their primal form and playing around with the peers. Full of excitement and joy. Mates were snuggled together. Children were chasing their elders and some were even riding on the shifter's backs. It was sight full of joy. Like a family picnic. They were all celebrating the full moon under the bright moon.

Another sigh escaped from his mouth. He had struggled years and years to give his only son, that kind of a life which were the families enjoying below. A life of a wolf that is both can be protected and relied by the family, the pack. He only gained wrinkles in return and not the true smile on his son's face. All his efforts failed to heal the biggest wound in his son's heart. What could be more painful to a father than the feeling of failing his duty as a father!