forty-one

Chapitre quarante-et-un
━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

As Hans slowly regained consciousness, he was met with an overwhelming sense of disorientation. A surge of blinding white light pierced his vision upon opening his eyes. Gradually, he became aware of the soft surface beneath him, prompting him to survey his unfamiliar surroundings. The room he found himself in was compact, adorned with floral wallpaper that gave it a cozy ambiance. A vanity and armoire were the primary furnishings, the space otherwise appearing sparsely adorned.

This didn't look like heaven, nor did it look like hell.

Faint voices echoed around him, their origins a blur in his hazy perception. Among them, a woman's voice sounded strangely familiar, intermingled with the distinct tones of two men. Attempting to rise, Hans encountered an unexpected heaviness in his limbs, impeding his movements.

The abrupt sound of a door opening and shutting reverberated, followed by the distinct voice of the woman he knew well. "Thank goodness you're awake!"

Hans lifted his gaze to the figure leaning over him, squinting as he attempted to sharpen his vision. Gradually, Isra's countenance came into clearer focus.

Her expression visibly relaxed upon seeing him awake. Her eyes bore signs of recent distress, swollen and tinged with redness. He felt a deluge of inquiries swirling within him, yet the foremost concern that escaped his dry lips was, "Klaus?"

Isra tenderly brushed aside the strands of brown hair that draped his forehead, offering a reassuring smile. "Klaus is fine. He's safe and sound."

Hans exhaled deeply, acknowledging her response with a nod. Following this, he inquired, "Where exactly are we?"

As Isra prepared to provide an explanation, Dr. Muller entered the room, appearing heavily grieved and weary. "He's finally awake. That's good."

She gestured toward Dr. Muller. "We're at someone's place. They helped us."

The doctor gave a sombre nod. "You were unconscious for quite some time. I've done what I could, but you need to rest and recover."

Hans tried to sit up again, but a wave of dizziness washed over him. She gently pushed him back onto the pillow. "Don't strain yourself," she urged softly.

"How did we get here?"

Isra recounted the harrowing events that led them to this unknown refuge. "After you were knocked unconscious, Dr. Muller intervened. He... he saved us, Hans. We're in unoccupied territory now."

He furrowed his brow, trying to piece together the fragmented memories. "The soldiers... what happened to them?"

Dr. Muller hesitated before responding, his voice heavy with regret. "I had no choice, Hans. They posed a threat. I did what I could to protect all of you."

She continued, "It all happened so fast. The soldiers were threatening Klaus. He had to act."

Hans gazed at Dr. Muller, a mixture of gratitude and sorrow in his eyes. "Thank you," he managed to say.

"We can't stay here long. It's not safe. We must plan our next move carefully."

Isra leaned closer to Hans, gripping his hand. "We're together, and we'll find a way. We have to."

Dr. Muller nodded, his expression resolute. "Rest now. You'll need your strength for what lies ahead." With that, he quietly left the room, leaving them to contemplate the uncertain path ahead.

"I'm relieved that you're safe. I thought they were going to kill our baby," he whispered sadly. "Where is he? May I see him?"

Isra kissed his forehead. "He's sleeping downstairs. Estelle and Dr. Muller are with him."