Chapter 13: Aecor

It's not often one wakes up to a glowing flower in their face, but that was exactly what Eileen found as her eyes fluttered open. What in the- "Achoo!" Pollen pelted her face, which she feverishly wiped off. Where are we? Vines and glowing flowers filled her vision. Another sneeze pressed against her nose. "Achoo!" The force nearly shot her back. Only a weight on her legs prevented her movement.

What? Her gaze flickered down. Ursus's soft glow filled the room like moonlight. His skin brightened at her touch, leaving a warm trail of light. He really is beautiful. "Ursus." His eyes flickered open. The pure love in them shook her to her very core. "Morning," she smiled.

"Morning," He whispered. A small yawn left his lips before he smiled up at her. "Since when did you have freckles?" Freckles? Reaching up, she touched her cheek. "Ah, it's the pollen. I startled a flower this morning." Never thought I would say that out loud. Granted being here meant she was starting to say a lot of new things out loud. Movement snapped her gaze back to Ursus. He nuzzled deeper into her abdomen.

Her heart flipped. "Ursus." Despite how much she didn't want to move right now, those sneezes had brought forth a wave of liquid that needed to be empty.

"Hmm?"

She shifted. "I got to go."

"Where?"

Heat flushed her face. "No, I have to go."

His eyes fluttered open. "Oh." He yawned again. "You have to go, go."

At his smirk, she fought the urge to flick his nose. He's enjoying this way too much. "Yes, so can you please get off of me?" Another yawn left his lips before he nuzzled ever further. "Ursus!"

Her cry got a small twitch of amusement. "Alright, alright." With a tired push, he laid himself beside her. Another small yawn broke free, before he curled up tighter onto the wooden floor. Just as she pushed herself to her feet, a knock sounded.

"Come in!" She called.

Pavel stuck his head through. From the looks of it, Ursus wasn't the only one who had difficulties sleeping last now. Even now, bagged eyes glanced at Ursus with concern. "How was he?"

Eileen gestured for him to step out. She closed the door behind them. "He cried, Pavel." She frowned. "What you said really hurt him last night." Pavel's jaw clenched. "I know, but I meant what I said. You can't be blind, Eileen. You see how the bond is affecting him."

"I know that." Eileen countered. "You think I want him to be like that?"

"I know you don't but if you cared about him then you would break it." Eileen's jaw clenched. She glanced away from him. I do care about Ursus and the bond was getting worse. She hesitated. Would breaking it really fix it? "But that's not the only reason I came." He ran his hand through his hair. "I looked over the hovercraft and it's stable. I think the crash might have been a hiccup in the system. We should be leaving for the Aecor Islands soon."

The Aecor islands. That was the last stop before they headed back to Lyria. She shuddered. And it's the one with the giant sea creature. As if reading her mind, Pavel sighed. "I know this may seem like a lot, but I really do want the best for Ursus." His eyes burned into hers. "And you should too."

But I do. The words were a lump in her throat. She swallowed the burning words all the way back down. Watching Pavel leave, Eileen couldn't shake the feeling that things were about to get a lot worse.

****

Like ice, cracks ran along the lines of tension as the hovercraft raced along the trees. With their fingers entwined, Ursus squeezed her hand. The slept in brought some color back to his cheeks and eyes.