Chapter 156 - Do we have a date?

Start from the beginning

"Hello?

"Hi David, I've got a favour to ask," she begins. Could you look after Scorpius for a couple of hours tonight? Something important has come up, and we don't want Scorpius involved."

"Is it dangerous?"

"A little, but nothing Draco and I can't handle."

David sighs, "I did have plans..."

"Oh," Hermione fails to keep the surprise out of her voice. "I can ask Grandma if she'll have him."

"I'll have him, it's fine. I've just got some friends coming over for the game. I'm sure Scorpius will enjoy it too," David admits. Recognising Hermione's silence as a surprise, he adds, "I do have friends, you know."

"Sorry, I was more shocked by the game. What game are you watching?"

"Football."

"You hate football. Are these friends of yours peer pressuring you to do things you don't like," Hermione jokes.

David groans, "Fine; I have Elliot and Isaac coming over. They're interested in the muggle world, and I suggested hanging out. I promised Sophie I'd try to make some friends, and I thought, who better than her friends' fathers."

"Oh, the Montgomery's dads," Hermione realises. "Their children are lovely, so I'm sure you'll get along well with them."

"We've hung out a few times, but this is the first time outside The Leaky Cauldron."

"Well, let me know how it goes. Can I bring Scorpius over in an hour?"

"Yeah, that's fine."

Just as Hermione and her uncle hang up, she hears the tell-tale sound of the floo network lighting up, so goes to meet her family in the floo room.

"Scorpius got a little messy at nursery," Draco says, explaining why he's wearing a bright orange jumper and blue joggers, clothes they don't own.

"Oh, what happened?"

"Sarah said he fell in the water tray, so the staff changed him into his spare clothes, and then he got paint everywhere," Draco chuckles.

"Maybe we need to start sending two spare pairs of clothes then," Hermione laughs, taking her son and kissing his cheek. "I have news," she sighs to her husband after placing Scorpius on the ground.

"What now?"

"Megan's requested a meeting tonight after the Light Switch On."

Draco frowns. "She knows we've stepped back."

"I know, so it must be important."

Draco throws Scorpius' dirty clothes into the clothes basket in the downstairs bathroom. "You've already agreed, haven't you."

"Yes, it will be nice to catch up together anyway." Hermione shrugs. "I've called David; he will have Scorpius for a few hours while we're out."

"Okay," Draco sighs, annoyed that their plans to relax have changed. He kisses his wife's cheek so she knows it's not her he's annoyed with. "I'm going for a shower before we eat. It smells good."

Hermione had forgotten the lasagne and rushed to take it out of the oven. The cheese on top is slightly darker than she would've liked, but it's still edible.

Once Draco returns, they eat their lasagne and salad together, theorising about what could be so important that Megan has requested a meeting. After dinner, Draco washes up while Hermione changes Scorpius into pyjamas and a dressing robe for his night at Uncle David's house.