Chapter 6

𝓑𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓮

I silently collect my things from my work desk, and head to the car. My phone in one hand, my handbag in the other hand.

Aaron gave me the car keys...how exciting. I can't use the car though, or that man will be off with my head – or job – he's a weird man, even if I'm technically his wife. I doubt he gives a damn.

He's the type of guy who's committed to work, not really family or relationship oriented. Sometimes he's like a polar opposite compared to his brothers.

I open the car door and get into the passenger seat, patiently waiting for my husband to get here. All I want to do, is get home and sleep, I'm exhausted.

Our relationship only has to last 1 year...or so I was told by Aaron. Boredom gets the best of me, and I turn on the radio.

Instantly the song "I wanna be yours" by Arctic Monkeys plays. I let out a deep exhale, one I didn't know I was holding.

I softly hum along to the chorus. As soon as I hear Aaron's shoes click against the cold, hard ground, I immediately turn the radio off.

He opens the door and gets into the driver's seat. He starts the car and takes a different road, one which isn't the way home – or anywhere I'm familiar with.

"Where I we going?" I ask. He stays silent, his main focus on the road ahead. "Where are we going?" I repeat, hoping for an answer.

"We're going to my brother's campus, to fetch him," he says sharply. At least I got some clarity. "What's his major?" I ask, trying my best to hold a conversation.

"Law," he says with absolutely no trace of emotions in his voice. It's like he's a puppy for a second, then he's as cold as ice.

As we near the campus, he pulls off as he sees his youngest brother, Zayden, waiting for him on the sidewalk. He gets into the backseat of the car and Aaron drives.

The brothers don't say a word to each other. "Hi, Zayden," I say with a warm smile. If no one's talking, then its my time to shine. "Hey, sister-in-law," he says.

Aaron just gives me side glances every 2 minutes. I think Zayden is about 19...or so. "You can call me Zade, by the way," he says with a smile.

"That girl still annoying you?" Aaron asks Zayden, his cold tone slightly fading. "As always," he lets out a sharp sigh.

"Which girl?" I ask curiously. "There's this girl in my class, she also majors in law. Both of us are always at each other's throats for first," he rolls his eyes.

"This is going to be one of those rivals to lovers things, am I right?" I chuckle playfully. "Never. I hate her and I hope she...nevermind," he settles back comfortably on the carseat.

"You still want to go to that bookstore, Zade?" Aaron asks in his usual monotone voice. Zade nods.

After driving for 24 minutes, we pull up in front of a bookstore, Zade being the first one to go in. Aaron and I both take our time exiting the car.