To Be With You (13)

"Tujhse kisi bhi bahane main roz milta rahun!"

Neil was waiting on his bike in front of their building for Avni to come so that they could leave for the college. He would have been overthinking his brains out about the fact that she didn't come to see him even once since the time he got discharged from the hospital. However, the fact that he was going to confront her about her earlier confession of love for him gave him enough jitters to make him not to dwell over her absence. 

He was humming a song under his breathe when he saw her coming. A slow smile spread across his face when he saw her fiddling with the straps of her bag as she walked towards him. Adjusting her wrist watch, Avni cleared her throat in order to gain Neil's attention who was simply staring at her wordlessly. 

N - Hi! - he said with a smile. 

A - Hi, Neil! - she said with a small smile as she sat on the bike.

Neil? Wasn't it Brinjalhead? Or Rajkumari? Was she mad? 

N - Tum, um, tum kal aayi nhi mujhse milne? 

A - Uh, haan! Woh...I was quite drained. Thak gyi thi toh, I just slept through the day. - she told as she fixed her helmet. Let's go. We'll get late! - she said. 

Neil could feel his heart drop a bit at the way she actually sounded so low & exhausted. He closed his eyes shut as he inhaled deeply to calm himself down & not let his anxiety get the best of him. Nodding to himself, he started the bike & couldn't really help the disappointment he felt when Avni held the handle on the back of the seat instead of holding on to his shoulders as she always did. 

The bike came to a stop with a screech sound as Neil parked in the parking lot of the college. Getting down, Avni tied the helmet to the bike before brushing her hair with her fingers as she turned to move towards the main building. 

However, as if on muscle memory, Neil held her wrist before she could leave. Avni's throat worked on a swallow as she ducked down the lump that was forming at the base of her throat. 

N - Avnii. I, uh, I wanted to ask something! - he said.

A - Neil, I'll get late for the class. We can talk later. - she said, not turning around to face him.

N - We still have twenty minutes till the class starts. I just need five minutes, please! 

A - What? - she sighed.

Neil bit the insides of his lower lip as he walked around her in order to stand in front of her. He could feel his nerve getting all over the place & thus in an attempt to find some calm, he held her hand as he rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand. As if her touch could transpire him peace!

N - About what you said to me yesterday, uh, you know, about you loving me! - he bit his lips nervously. Did you...did you just say it to distract me, or was it..was it the truth? - his eyes were trained on their hands all this while.

A - What do you want it to be? - her voice came out thick & hoarse.

N - Avnii! - he dragged the sound of her name on his lips, buying a few moments to think how he was going to confess his love. Mustering some courage, he finally looked at her face from beneath his dense eyelashes. If I'm being totally honest then, a small part of me wants it to be just you trying to distract me, but, trust me, the rest of my whole being wants it to be the truth! Because-

A - Listen to the smaller part, Neil! I just said that to distract you. That's all it was! - Avni dug her nails in her palm in an attempt to make sure that she doesn't end up crying in front of him. She could see the way his eyes showed a plethora of emotions in them. They showed disbelief, then denial & then those beautifully gorgeous orbs showed sadness. Of being exhausted. Of being defeated. Of being lonely. She had to grit her teeth tight so that the sob didn't escape her mouth that was threatening to break out seeing him so heartbroken.