ʙᴀᴅ ᴋɴᴇᴇꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛᴇᴀʀꜱ

Summary: Charles taking care of Y/N after a knee surgery. 

Words: 1.2k+

♡♡♡♡♡

Ever since you could remember, you have always been the adventurous type.

You would rather go exploring than stay in, the thrill of a potential adventure overpowering the need for a relaxing day in with the one you loved.

Which fitted perfectly with Charles' need for adventuring and going on as many trips around the world as he could.

But there was a slight problem with that. With the adventurous thrill also came the danger.

And you were very prone to injuring yourself. Just like you had done on the last skiing trip you had gone on with Charles, right before the F1 season started up.

Adventuring a little too much on a not so safe skiing slope resulted in your falling and injuring your knee. An injured knee which required surgery.

You had been devastated when you found out you would need surgery. Not only would the recovery be horrendous and strenuous on your body, but it also meant that Charles would go out of his way to take care of you, neglecting his training in order to make sure you were okay.

That was the biggest problem in your eyes. Not the injury itself, not the surgery that you would need to have, but the fact that Charles would move the mountains in order to take care of you.

Which is exactly what happened.

You had your surgery two weeks after your knee was injured, a mere couple of weeks before the season picked up again. Charles was proving to be a great caretaker, dotting on you and being the sweetest person ever.

He would bring you food, medicine and anything else you would need in bed, he would help you to the bathroom by supporting you. He got in touch with the best physiotherapist that he knew and immediately started your road to recovery.

He would take you to every single therapy session, every doctor's appointment that followed your surgery to track your progress and your recovery.

He helped you exercise at home, urging you to push yourself in order to get back on your feet as soon as possible.

He would hold you every time you would break down because it would all get too much. The pain, the recovery, the pressure of getting better, the stress on your body. He would hold you through it all, whispering sweet nothings in your ear that would instantly calm you down.

You didn't like feeling this helpless, like you couldn't do anything on your own and practically lived at Charles' pity.

You hated it.

And Charles had begun suspecting as much. He had noticed how closed off you had become over time, but he didn't want to say anything that might make you feel even worse than you already did.

"Mon amour, what's wrong?" he asked one evening after you had got back from a particularly strenuous physical therapy session.

You smiled at him, shaking your head as you rested on the edge of the bed.

"Nothing, I'm okay. Just a little tired" you lied smoothly, but it was not enough to convince him.

"Please don't lie to me. Something's been bothering you ever since your surgery, don't think I haven't noticed" he said, sitting down beside you.

You sighed, biting your lip. You could feel the tears welling up in your eyes, everything that you had been bottling up threatening to boil over.

"I hate how dependent I have become on you" your voice was small, too worried that you could hurt his feelings.

Charles frowned, the wheels in his head turning to understand what you were really trying to say.

"Am I bothering you? Is that it?" he asked, his face sad and broken like a puppy dog's.

You immediately shook your head, wanting to get up from the bed and comfort him but it would take you way too much time.

"No, don't ever think that. It's me that's bothering you" you said, your frustrations slowly making their way towards the surface.

If Charles had been confused up to that point, he was even more confused now. How could you ever bother him?

"What do you mean? You're not bothering me, what are you talking about?" he made his way towards you and took a seat next to you on the bed.

You sighed, tears slowly welling up in your eyes as you rested your head in your hands.

"It's just this stupid surgery. I can't even get up to go to the bathroom without needing your help. It's pathetic, I can't do anything on my own anymore" you cried silently, hiding your face in your hands.

Charles' shoulders suddenly slumped into realization, his heart heavy. He didn't say anything, instead he brought you into his arms and pushed your head into the crook of his neck, wary of twisting you too much because of your knee.

You let out strained and tired sobs, clinging onto Charles like your life depended on it. You had missed him, even though he's been with you the entire time up until then. You had missed his touch, missed him holding you just because you both needed it. Both of you have been so preoccupied with your recovery, with taking your meds, going to physical therapy with Andrea and managing the pain that you forgot to be just Y/N and Charles, a couple.

You stayed in his arms for a while, just needing to let it all out. He understood that, holding you against him without saying anything, just planting kisses on your forehead from time to time.

Once you calmed down, you slowly pulled away from Charles, who wiped away your tears and gave you a small smile.

"Mon amour, I'm only going to say this once. You will never, ever in this life be a bother to me. I don't care if I have to take care of you every single day for the rest of our lives, I would drop everything in a heartbeat to be with you. Don't ever doubt how much I love you and the lengths I would go to just to see you happy and taken care of" Charles' speech did nothing to stop your sobs, in fact they got even worse.

Charles knew it was the pain and frustration talking from you, and that you didn't actually mean anything you had said to him. However, he didn't mind one bit reassuring you and telling you anything that you might need in order to feel better.

"I'm sorry" you mumbled out once you started to calm down a little.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. I get it, I would probably be the same if I were in your place. Just don't ever doubt how much I love you and how much I enjoy feeling needed when you need me to take care of you" he joked a little at the end, bringing a smile to your face.

"I love you so much" you said, wrapping your arms around his neck and bringing his lips down to yours.

Between salty kisses and whispered nothings, you realized that even through the rough patches, Charles would always be there to get you through everything.

Your caretaker for life.